Pond In winter

Reaction score
We have had a pretty mild winter here in Pa. up until the past few days.It has turned real cold and snowed some.I took this shot a few weeks ago,I tried to capture the sun that was shining in the pond on the ice.

Reaction score
chris said:
Wow! That is one cold looking pond! Down here in Chattanooga we may see an inch of snow for the entire year.
You are so lucky!Over the week-end we ended up with 12-14 inches of the white stuff,I can send you some if you want it! lol
Here is how the pond looks now after our snow this week-end.

Pond lights almost buried.

Reaction score
chris said:
How well do the fish do in this kind of weather?
So far they have done ok.But all I have in the pond is fan tailed goldfish.I once was thinking about getting Koi but then didn't know if they could survive the winters here and I don't have a place inside to move them to when it gets cold.My pond is close to 3 foot deep on the one side so the fish seem to go there and stay all winter.I have lost a few in the past five years,but it was from a hawk and a raccoon. There is a stray cat hanging around here right now,hope it moves on before spring or I have a feeling he will be getting the rest.

Reaction score
Ah, cool. Its a nice pond. The fish are moving to the lower levels of the pond to stay warm. Do you have a heater in the pond?

Reaction score
Well, I'm up here in New Yawk, near the PA border, and this one spot on the map is a zone 4, surrounded by zone 5's, and my koi and shebunkins survived just fine. Of course, the deep end is 4', and the middle is 3'.

I had a couple of iffy days trying to keep the hole in the ice, but this year I'll use a little bigger pump. I just set it on a shelf and bubble the water, no heater. The action of the water moving seems to keep it from freezing over just fine. :icon_smile:

Ask a Question