Pond info

Reaction score
I have a small pond, never had one before, didn't realise there was so much to it! It is only small, approx 80 gallons I would say, I have some plants in it and was hoping to have fish, maybe just 1 or 2. From what I have read, a natural environment is best, but wondered if I could ask the advice of others more experienced! I believe that plants purify the water and I would only need filtration if I intend to put more fish in than the water can naturally sustain, is this correct and if so will I still need some sort of water feature for oxygenation.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yes you will want to circulate and filter your water, both mechanically and biologically. mechanically just means removal of physical debris, and biological is the use of bacterias in the filter to break down and process ammonias nitrates and nitrites which are naturally occuring in fish waste,plant matter and other decaying organic matter. 80 gallons you coulkd probably get by with a under water biofilter..that said you must know that there is no such thing as too much filtration.there are plans on this site for DIY biofilters,,skippys, 55gal drums.and a 20 gal skippy. you can adapt the designs to other containers. a 20 gal would definately be enough for your pond size.pump sized to circulate your ponds volume around once an hour or so. you could get by with a 10 gallon size..i would make one out of a large planter pot and put some floating plants in the top and no one would even knoww its a filter.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Please go to the User CP at the top of this page an add your location.
Harbor Freight has small pumps relly cheap. A small bio filter should be easy to make. As was already stated, you need some filtration and circulation.

Reaction score
I am trying to introduce fish to my pond. I bought 3 fish for the pond and within hours they were dead. I then bought feeder fish (6 small) and they were dead even sooner. I had the water checked. It was fine. I floated the bag for 5 minutes ,added pond water to the bags and put the fish in by net. What am I doing wrong ?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
mgall said:
I am trying to introduce fish to my pond. I bought 3 fish for the pond and within hours they were dead. I then bought feeder fish (6 small) and they were dead even sooner. I had the water checked. It was fine. I floated the bag for 5 minutes ,added pond water to the bags and put the fish in by net. What am I doing wrong ?

Is there chlorine in the water? 5 minutes is not sufficient, I also slowly add pond water to equalize the water chemistry before adding to the pond.

Reaction score
I added pond water to the bag. How long should I have floated the bag? How do I check the clorine level? The pet store said the water quality was fine. Also it was a very hot humid day. Would that be a problem? Thanks for any help.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
mgall said:
I added pond water to the bag. How long should I have floated the bag? How do I check the clorine level? The pet store said the water quality was fine. Also it was a very hot humid day. Would that be a problem? Thanks for any help.

If the water came from your tap and it came from the city, it has dangerous levels of chlorine in it. You need to buy dechlor and use it whenever adding water. You don't need a chlorine tester if you just follow the instructions.

Ask a Question