Pond is frozen in Chicago

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been lucky and my Koi have survived 4 cold winters in Chicago. I have an air stone in the back behind the waterfall but it's so cold it freezes still even with the bubbles going. How often would you poke a hole in the Ice to keep the oxygen flowing?

IMG_1126.JPG
Ice hole (1).jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hate above water ponds cause of the freezing risk.

Why not just buy a pond breather and put it in every winter? No more poking holes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I like the Pond Breather and use one; but am wondering if you might find a de -icer locally, since you really do need an opening in the ice. You could check some tractor supply type stores, then add the Pond Breather later.....I actually use a Pond Breather, small aerator and a de icer.....call me paranoid!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hi everyone, I've been lucky and my Koi have survived 4 cold winters in Chicago. I have an air stone in the back behind the waterfall but it's so cold it freezes still even with the bubbles going. How often would you poke a hole in the Ice to keep the oxygen flowing?

View attachment 96560 View attachment 96561

Just the fact that you're pumping air into your pond water under the ice will help a lot.
The extra air will find it's way out somewhere but my fear with using an aerator only during the winter means that you are running the risk of having the airline freeze up and stop working until spring thaw.
I would go with something more reliable. Like a pond breather which I'm glad to hear you you've ordered one.
But - you're now going to have to open up a hole for the pond breather to fit in.
Don't chop a hole open! You could set a trough heater on the ice, plug it in and it will melt a hole big enough for the breather to fit in. Depending on your ice thickness, it could take a couple of days though.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
But - you're now going to have to open up a hole for the pond breather to fit in.
Don't chop a hole open! You could set a trough heater on the ice, plug it in and it will melt a hole big enough for the breather to fit in. Depending on your ice thickness, it could take a couple of days though.
Thank you, I will do that and update everyone mid week/ next weekend once I have it installed. Thank you all for the suggestions.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Come the Spring, don't forget to take that breather apart and give it a good cleaning. They dis-assemble fairly easily.

Pay close attention to the pump itself, because once that pump is toast.......the whole thing is toast.

Ask a Question