pond is ready for winter!

Reaction score
So with it being November 1st today, I decided it was time to cover the pond for winter, especially as I've had an unwanted guest the past week (heron).

It was easy to do, but is super ugly, and probably won't hold up to the wind lol. I just bought some heavy duty poly, stuffed some PVC topped with a T connector into the plant pots on the one edge (to hold the poly off the plants, kind of like when you stick toothpicks in cake before covering it with saran to keep it off the icing). Stapled the poly to the house (pond is built against the house), ran it down, over the PVC, and stapled it to the edge of the cap boards. Left the one side that doesn't get wind unstapled, so that I can still get in and out to feed the fish (water is still 55 degrees). It's pretty terrible actually - looks like one of those homeless shelters you see in a park. Oh well, it's in the backyard where nobody can see it. If it does rip off, I've got lots more poly. I'll probably just do a smooth tight cover (versus a sloped one) if it comes to that. The disadvantage is I'd have to cut back all my plants and keep it clear of snow and rain. Or maybe I'll just get a net to keep the heron and the leaves out and not worry about ice or snow...

Felt weird covering it up. I was working outside in a t-shirt, and wasn't even cold. What's more, my canna had a new flower stalk on it about to open up (broke it off by mistake with the poly when I was pulling it snug), and my lily is still flowering (albeit slower, just one flower at a time now). My taro, which is NOT hardy at all, is still growing like crazy. The canna that's flowering is not supposed to be a hardy plant, but it's so darned happy and healthy, I've decided I'm going to try leaving it in. It was only $10, so if it dies it's not a big deal.

Cleaned up the hardy plants - the pickerel, cattails, pennywort, moneywort, creeping jenny, crinum lily, forget-me-not, water lilies, marsh marigold, loosestrife, parrot feather, hardy water canna, and iris are all staying in for the winter.

Regardless, I've pulled out the taro and the two canna that were starting to brown (although still sending up new leaves) for the winter. I also pulled out most of the salvina so that the sun has a chance to heat the water now that the cover will prevent heat loss from evaporation. And chucked the rest of my hyacinth.

Filter and pump are still running. Anyone know what temperature it becomes too cold for beneficial bacteria?

Also, my pump (pondmaster 2100gph) keeps making the hose that runs between the intake and the filter (it's just a box filter but has been doing the trick) crimp/pinch, really restricting flow. Anyone know why that is or what I can do about it? I already replaced the hose once, and it's a bit pricey, I can't keep doing that (plus it's a PITA to keep putting a new hose in). The hose is flexible PVC made specifically for ponds.

Reaction score
Perhaps you should consider switching out the box filter and getting a PondMaster pond filter kit. Since their literally made for eachother, this might help solve the problem.

Reaction score
sorry, no pics! The cover, as expected, blew off. I'll probably make a new one - I've got lots of poly left, just need to pick up more PVC to make a frame for it.

It's finally cold here, hovering around 40 degrees in the day, dropping down to 30 at night. I stopped feeding about a week ago, when the pond hit 50 degrees. I just checked the fish, they're doing good. Swimming and active, but a bit slower, and sticking to the deeper water. I just unplugged the pump. I figure it's finally too cold for any beneficial bacteria (pond is 48 degrees). I may wind up putting the prefilter cover back on the pump (it's a solids-handling pump), and then just leaving it plugged in and aimed at the surface about 6" below the surface in one corner, in order to prevent freezing. However, I worry that it'll stir the water up too much and lower the pond temp, so I may just go buy a stock tank heater.

It seems so weird to not be feeding my fish, especially as it probably won't warm up enough to start feeding again until late February. But I guess that's normal...

Reaction score
oh you need more than staples--rocks, etc. With just netting you get the wind able to pass through, but with plastic sheeting it can turn into a kite in no time!

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Just went and looked at the pond. Still got ten fish huddled together on the bottom. My Taro is also going gangbusters, as is the water iris and the forget me not. I removed all the hyacinth, cut back the lotus. The water temp this morning is 50, but has been as high as 60 with our nearly 70 degree temps a week ago. I fed the fish small tosses twice after the water went to the low 60s, but it has dropped again and I'm thinking I'm done. My pump is still running... I justb can't bring myself to pull the trigger! I will do so soon, though. I guess I'll put it in a bag in the basement for the winter. What do I do with the biofilter? Do I need to buy more of the filter stuff that curls up inside of it when I start up in the spring?

Don't know if you remember the post I had about the netting cover I built with PVC pipe and rebar, but I went and bought a 16' X 20' agricultural tarp for the winter to use with the same netting frame. The tarp has grommets on it every two feet and has thread through it. I'll just slide the stakes I'm currently using for the netting into the grommets, and use zip ties again over the pvc pipe at intervals. The nylon thread will keep the zip ties from tearing the plastic. The tarps are pretty expensive, but was able to find one online for about $50. Will let you know how it works in January!

Joanie

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
JoaniePA said:
Just went and looked at the pond. Still got ten fish huddled together on the bottom. My Taro is also going gangbusters, as is the water iris and the forget me not. I removed all the hyacinth, cut back the lotus. The water temp this morning is 50, but has been as high as 60 with our nearly 70 degree temps a week ago. I fed the fish small tosses twice after the water went to the low 60s, but it has dropped again and I'm thinking I'm done. My pump is still running... I justb can't bring myself to pull the trigger! I will do so soon, though. I guess I'll put it in a bag in the basement for the winter. What do I do with the biofilter? Do I need to buy more of the filter stuff that curls up inside of it when I start up in the spring?

Don't know if you remember the post I had about the netting cover I built with PVC pipe and rebar, but I went and bought a 16' X 20' agricultural tarp for the winter to use with the same netting frame. The tarp has grommets on it every two feet and has thread through it. I'll just slide the stakes I'm currently using for the netting into the grommets, and use zip ties again over the pvc pipe at intervals. The nylon thread will keep the zip ties from tearing the plastic. The tarps are pretty expensive, but was able to find one online for about $50. Will let you know how it works in January!

Joanie

Joanie
If you are talking about PVC turnings, they are reusable forever.

Ask a Question