Pond is up and running

Reaction score
Our pond is done. Its been running for almost 2 weeks. We put in some goldfish as guinnea pigs to get the biological balance going. Shortly after it was built we got almost 4 inches of rain. It didn't overflow its banks but must have washed a bunch of silt off the rocks and Boulders around the edge into the water and now it's very cloudy. The fellas that built the pond for us told us we didn't need any additional filtration than what we got. The skimmer has a leaf basket and a filter pad that we were told to clean each week. The waterfall has 2 filter pads in it that they said not to clean but maybe once or twice each year because thats where the good bacteria is. When I looked in the waterfall there seems to be a lot of extra room in there for more filter material. Should I add more filter media?
Our pond is about 18 x 14 and is about 2 feet deep around the edges with the middle being 3 1/2 feet deep. No plants yet. Those will go in next year. I haven't tested the water for anything yet as we do not have a test kit. No sign of any algae bloom yet just cloudy water. How long does it take to get the bacteria culture going?:100:

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a smiliar set to as mine. The murkiness should clear up in a day or so. It will clear even faster if you hose out the filter pad in the skimmer basket. I clean mine every other day or so. You may need to check and empty the skimmer basket daily though, depends if you have overhanging trees or not.

He is right about the waterfall pads - do not clean them more than once or twice a year. I have 3 pads and 2 bags of lava rocks. From what I hear, most people have some other type of media besides pads: lava rocks, bioballs, ribbon, etc. You don't mention the exact specs of your filter system.

Did you add dry bacteria to the water? I use EcoSystem.

Reaction score
Today I noticed a little foam floating around. Still murky too. No bacteria has been added yet. I see that you can get different types of bacteria. Some for fall/winter others for spring /summer. Our pond is new but it's almost fall. Do I need to use one certain type or does that matter? I bought some bio balls and put them in a mesh bag in the waterfall. As far as filtration goes; thats all I got. Pads in the skimmer, pads in the water fall, and now bag of bio balls in the waterfall. Do we need more filtration? what about areation?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
thats a good size pond ...send some pics ....you might need more filtration...

Reaction score
The falls should be providing enough aeration. However, if you decide to turn them off for the winter, you'll need one.
There are tons of types of bacteria and other items as well. The choice is up to you really, what you are comfortable with. I like the dry stuff because it is easy to use. I did use the Microlift liqiud fall/winter last year and I guess I'll get it again. It is too early for it now though - get the reg stuff.
Still murky? Did you wash out the skimmer pad? You can add a layer of the batting they use to make quilts with. You can purchase it in any store that sells crafts and sewing supplies. That stuff works great. It will have to be hosed daily too for a while and after it gets beat up from washing - just toss it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
A good bio filter is needed year round. If your water fall is off for the winter, how much good are the bio balls?

Reaction score
I was planning to run the waterfall 24/7 year round because that is the only bio filter i have at this time. I probably need some kind of de-icer/heater:cold: to keep an opening in front of the skimmer.Trying to send a pic
trkyhntr534
[/URL][/IMG]

Reaction score
Thats why I'm here. It started out pretty clear, I could see the bottom. But after a big rain it became cloudy like that. Our yard has got a lot of clay that color and I'm thinking that the boulders and rocks weren't washed well enough to begin with. The pond never overflowed its banks but the water level did come up about 4 inches.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It may take a while, but a lot of it will settle out depending on the style of filter you have. The really fine silt cannot be trapped by filter media but can settle in a sump if given enough time. The only filter media I know of that might do it is a diatomacious earth filter. It will trap particles down to 2 microns.

In the meantime, get some plants around it and stop the runnoff into the pond. You don't know what toxins it might bring.

Reaction score
I started cleaning the filter pad in the skimmer every day and it has been dirty with that same nasty clay color.:confused: I guess it just takes time. I am curious about the 55 drum bio filters that I see discussed here. If I wanted to add one, would i need a separate pump for it or could I tap in to the pump line that is running from the skimmer to the waterfall?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Yes, mine is part of my waterfall. The water is pumped directly from the bottom of my lower pond into the bottom of the filter. The water percolates up and to the overflow.
Your filter media could be before the bio filter. I personally don't use the filter media at all and have crystal clear water.

Ask a Question