Pond keeps freezing over

B

Burd

I usually never have my little pond freeze over, the bubbler keeps it open, maybe it’s going, every day I have to take warm water out and melt a hole. I dont want all the frogs to die over the winter.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is your bubbler located at the bottom of the pond? If so, maybe you could use a pool noodle to raise it closer to the surface. That may or may not help. “Pond Breathers” work well, if you can get hold of one (Amazon carries them, as well as other online pet/pond sites). I’m sorry, but all I can suggest otherwise, is to keep doing what you are doing — your critters will certainly appreciate your efforts!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
frogs routinely hibernate under iced-over ponds, so unless this condition lasts a long time, you don't need to worry about temporary ice overs. As noted, get a pond breather and you'll worry even less. You don't see 'frog-kills' like you do 'fish-kills' in spring....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you have not already done so, tie a string to your air stone to keep it suspended up close to the surface of the water. It will better keep a hole in the ice that way.

You don't want it on the bottom during cold weather anyway. It will super cool the water where to fish are hibernating.

B

Burd

Thanks for the tip, never used air stones, I found one at a pet store. I also use a aquarium bubbler, whats Good for outside?

B

Burd

Oh it’s small. I didn’t put it in, it’s one of the drop in ones you see at the stores.
the new stone fall does Dona Bette job, it didn’t take much warm water to melt open a hole today. You can see a frozen
cone it creates.

F8991A9D-7071-45D0-A260-B839E9020497.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah gotcha. I mean frogs will sometimes choose very inappropriate places to overwinter and anything with a small volume of water fits that category. I'd chase them out in the fall if I were you. You'll get more frogs in spring - same ones or different? Who knows. We have always had a fluctuating frog population in and around our pond - who knows where they go when they leave and how they decide when it's time to come back! In any case - they found you the first time, they'll find you again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We get frogs or toads every year. I don't know which they are. Maybe both! They just appear out of nowhere.
I like their singing at night. It's more of a whistle.
We get millions of eggs and then millions tadpoles in the pond. I think the fish eat most of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We get frogs or toads every year. I don't know which they are. Maybe both! They just appear out of nowhere.
I like their singing at night. It's more of a whistle.
We get millions of eggs and then millions tadpoles in the pond. I think the fish eat most of them.
That sounds like toads - they're the ones that make a whistling song, especially at night. I made a video of them a couple years back, but I'd have to upload it to youtube in order to post it.

Ask a Question