Pond keeps freezing over

Burd

Pond Scum
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I usually never have my little pond freeze over, the bubbler keeps it open, maybe it’s going, every day I have to take warm water out and melt a hole. I dont want all the frogs to die over the winter.

Ad

Advertisements

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is your bubbler located at the bottom of the pond? If so, maybe you could use a pool noodle to raise it closer to the surface. That may or may not help. “Pond Breathers” work well, if you can get hold of one (Amazon carries them, as well as other online pet/pond sites). I’m sorry, but all I can suggest otherwise, is to keep doing what you are doing — your critters will certainly appreciate your efforts!

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
frogs routinely hibernate under iced-over ponds, so unless this condition lasts a long time, you don't need to worry about temporary ice overs. As noted, get a pond breather and you'll worry even less. You don't see 'frog-kills' like you do 'fish-kills' in spring....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you have not already done so, tie a string to your air stone to keep it suspended up close to the surface of the water. It will better keep a hole in the ice that way.

You don't want it on the bottom during cold weather anyway. It will super cool the water where to fish are hibernating.

Burd

Pond Scum
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Thanks for the tip, never used air stones, I found one at a pet store. I also use a aquarium bubbler, whats Good for outside?

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question