Pond King liner problem

Reaction score
My problem is fairly simple I installed a 20x25 Pondking poot liner a few months back and now it seems like I have to look at the name imprinted in big blue letters for the next 25 years. When I installed the liner it never occurred to me that they would put their name all over it with indelible ink. I called them to ask how long it world be there and they said always! So my question is does anyone have a solution. They suggested taking the whole pond apart and turning the liner over or covering the name with rocks or covering it with tape. It would have been nice if they had mentioned something on the instructions but I guess advertising their product is more important than having a nice looking pond. So any suggestions on what to do?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wait, it will get covered with algae, dirt, muck and just disappear.

Reaction score
You're right. I guess if I don't try to clean it the muck will hide things. They should pay me for having a bill board on the bottom and sides of my pond!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can clean the pond, i.e. net the bottom etc. The algae will grow on the liner, collect some stuff and the liner will just disappear. Give it some time. to keep the name showing you would need to power wash it every year, which is not good for a pond.

This is a black liner, third summer, even if I sweep there is always some carpet type algae that stays on the liner. This is around 3 feet deep. The sides look the same

DSC05524.JPG

This is seeing the pond from underwater, 5 foot deep area, you can see even the sides are covered.

fish cam.jpg

Reaction score
You could even add muck I guess.

Curious, when you were setting the liner you didn't notice the lettering? Or that it was only on one side? Not sure how the manufacturer is to blame.

Reaction score
Nope I didn't notice it, if I did it, it didn't register. The directions on the roll said to "unroll in this direction" by doing so it put the lettering on the top. It was my fault and the only blame I am putting on the manufacture is for putting the lettering on to start with. Not just on one edge but every 5 feet across the full 20 feet. I can think of no reason other than advertising for doing so. When I called to ask them how to get it off they said that all the manufactures do the same thing. If that is the case then let this serve as a warning to others that are putting their liners in. As ADDY1 stated sooner or later algae will cover it up

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL my liner had nothing on it, just a caulk arrow, unroll this way, not epdm but a ppl liner

Reaction score
Firestone EPDM pond liners are printed on as well ... it isnt an issue as others have said as algae, etc will cover it in no time.

Reaction score
I may have noticed it but as I said it just didn't register. If it had you can be sure that I would have turned it over. I would have even taken it out of the pond had I not fit the skimmer to it and filled it twice. Oh well live and learn. I'm sure that everyone that sees it will say " Boy I'm going to buy a Pond King liner I sure like the big blue lettering and numbers"

Reaction score
There are a few reasons manufacturers mark material.

1. Lets buyers know what installed used is the same product that was speced. Most people can't tell 20 mil PVC from EPDM PondGard. When I install a PondGard or some other specific liner it's because the owner asked for that and paid extra. I lay the liner with the marking up for the owner to see. They want to see it and I want them to see it. No problem because I mortar rock over liner in my ponds.

2. Lets building inspector know what material is being used. When they see the Oakley name on a PVC shower liner they know it's complies with required specs. Without a name a good inspector will question whether an unmarked liner meets required standards and then the builder would have to prove compliance which would be difficult.

3. Any product with any kind of warranty. PondGard comes with a 20 year warranty. If Firestone is asked to fix a liner they would like to know it's their liner. A receipt is really only proof their liner was purchased. If they look at the line in question and it doesn't have the PondGard marking they're probably not going to want to fix the liner.

I don't think advertising is their primary purpose, but they do like installers to get use to using the same product. So I'd assume they'd mark it even if there were no other reason...assuming the advertising didn't take away from the final build when installed correctly.

Ask a Question