Pond landscaping

Reaction score
My husband and I are thinking about putting river rock all along the outside landscape of the pond but im wondering if anyone has pictures of their ponds and how hard is it to add plants after the rocks are down? Any opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
I think it would be hard. I suggest that first you plant your shrubs and perennials.
How big of an area are you planning on landscaping around the pond? ...and
how big is the pond area?
The river rock probably would look good in certain areas, but all around
would be too much.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A mixture of large stones if you can get them would look more natural and some with moss even better .In PA you should be able to get some nice rocks from streams and rivers .The hunt is on . :razz: never knew rocks would be a treasure

Reaction score
Indeed potato stone or river rock is nice, if the setting of the surrounding landscape lends to this theme. Perhaps, as CliffandJoann had mentioned, to keep it in certain areas and let the natural ground cover of your yard encroach the pond. Either way, plants go in before laying the stones- and be sure to use fabric under the stones to reduce weed sprouts.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember the plants will wick water from the pond and push your liner down if it is not supported and done right .Waterbug on here has a good description how it is done right .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
When I bought my house, the front landscaping had the mesh fabric and river rock. I'm sure at one point it looked nice, but this is my opinion of river rock and mesh. It's AWFUL! First of all, although the mesh may help at first, dirt will collect on top of it, seeds WILL sprout, and then the tiny roots will work their way down through the mesh. Then, try to pull those weeds, grass, etc. and not pull the mush up, too! Also, the rocks will work their way into the soil without the mesh or plastic, so you really do need something below them. I know plastic is not the choice, but I would use it before the mesh for the reasons I stated. I love the look of the river rock, and it's easier to blow the leaves off of it in the fall (than say mulch). If you are using perennials that will not spread, and are larger plants or shrubs, you might be fine with the rock, as you won't be messing with it once the area is planted. Another downfall is if you plan to put annuals in there, the rock is much harder to move around than mulch, and if you don't use the same hole for an annual you may have used last year, the old hole will be open for weeds, and you will have to cut a new hole.
I ended up removing all the river rock, and put it on my driveway. However, since the ponds have been built, I have slowly scooped up the rock and used it in the waterfall and stream, as a more natural look to the larger rocks.
Another "con" for rock is it's more expensive than mulch, and harder to move around, much heavier. But, in the end, if that's the look you want, then I say go for it! You will figure out how to deal with any bad effects as you go. Good luck!

Reaction score
I like River Rock as well as all larger rock and Boulders but as C.Escape said it can be a pain in the you know what. I changed the area between my pond and driveway 2 years ago from pea gravel which I had gotten tired of to large creek rock (fist sized to bowling ball size) laid out in an unbroken carpet of rock--but as Cliff and Joann mentioned it just was to much and didnt seem natural so last year I removed 2 thirds of the rock and planted Hosta's and Caladium leaves among the remaining rocks, which looked a lot better. This Year I plan on carrying the NATURAL LOOK all around the Pond by going to our Timber and harvesting lots of carpet moss to use in place of mulch with the wild timber Ferns, Hosta's, grasses and Rocks all thrown together informally. If there's one thing you will find from most of us on here--You are never done with your pond or its surroundings--we change things , not always because we have to, but because we want to--it becomes an obssession, LOL.

Reaction score
We planted tons of perinnals and ground covers and vinca vine and english ivy...

We never use plastic liner on the ground,
the ground covers completely cover the ground...There is no room for weeks to grow...
Heck, we hardly have room for flowers to grow ...and many of our flowers are planted
in pots and buried in the perrenials. This way our pond is lush and full and in constant bloom from early spring
into late fall..We also have big rocks here and there in the landscaping and have a rock
path in front on the pond that leads to the pond deck, I think rock ground cover looks best
away from the pond rather than right next to it.

check out this video and note the rock path in front of the pond.

Reaction score
Cliff and Joann, that is some gorgeous landscaping.

I have to echo Country Escape as to what a nuisance stones can be. Are you using them as a pathway? That works best if you use stepping stones of some kind with the river rock around them.

Reaction score
We have rock instead of mulch in a 2' section or so along the perimeter of the house. It looks good as a contrast against the mulch of the pathway, and keeping mulch away from your house foundation is a good pest prevention strategy. Instead of plastic or mesh, we used the many many layers of newspaper as a barrier between the soil and the rocks. If you want to have annuals, or plants that are replaced, try the pot in a pot method. As you are laying out the rock garden, put a plastic pot in the ground. You can spread the rock right up to the edge of the pot. Then to change out plants, just stick a newly planted plant and pot into the pot that stays in the ground. If the plants are permanent perennials, you really want them in before the rock goes in.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I just love my rocks and I have tons of river rocks that I dragged home one at a time. I use them everywhere, flowerbed, ponds, paths, and yes they need constant attention of the grass and flowers would take over the rocks in no time. You have to have a love of rocks and be a true rock-a-holic like me to constantly tend to the rocks needs. :)

Attachments

• IMAG3676.jpg
    IMAG3676.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 292
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Joann, I could listen to your video all day long, all those beautiful chirping birds. I sure miss having birds around here like that, and when I get one flying through in the spring, I sure notice the different song, and follow the sound until I spot the bird! Have spotted some really unusual birds that way.
Colleen, I too love rocks, just not instead of mulch around my flowers and plants. Tee, it could be I misunderstood your use for river rock, which is typically 1-2" rock around here, Colleen, not your REAL river rock you find along the river. Around here, they sell it in bags, used usually to cover landscaping areas, instead of mulch. And, while I do like the look of rocks, both large and small, and think it's the best used when in a walkway, of different sizes, I just don't like the maintenance involved if you use it around plantings, unless you use it around larger items, or plants will be larger. In the end, usually our flowers and plants grow and cover the ground, so that's why I prefer mulch, which promoted moisture in the landscaping, and prevents weeds from growing, or makes it much easier to pull them if they do root!

Reaction score
I love river rock, but like any "hardscape" the design should be well thought out in advance. Here's some pics of a project hubby did awhile back that had an extensive amount of river rock used between the different construction stages, with materials (other rocks and block wall products) in different manners, in the same project... River rocks were used as stepping stones in the lawn, stairs, stepping stones/steps around the pond, two tier beds, pavers around the pond, in the water falls, some edging the pond and hiding the liner (with other rocks mixed in too)...

Eldredge2010.jpg

Eldredge5.jpg

Eldredge6.jpg

Eldredge7.jpg

Eldredge8.jpg

Ask a Question