Pond leaking

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am pretty sure I have a leak somewhere in the falls area of my pond because when it was off in the winter and I used just the aerator and deicer, the pond level was unchanged. And I just did a test and turned off the pump, therefor the falls, and the level stayed the same. Otherwise, depending on rain, I am adding water to the pond every 2-3 days.(so the pump stays below water in the skimmer) The company who put it in is very busy, came by once and did not see where the problem. I'm a little ticked at that. Thought the smart veteran pond owners here could direct me on how to detect that leak.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am pretty sure I have a leak somewhere in the falls area of my pond because when it was off in the winter and I used just the aerator and deicer, the pond level was unchanged. And I just did a test and turned off the pump, therefor the falls, and the level stayed the same. Otherwise, depending on rain, I am adding water to the pond every 2-3 days.(so the pump stays below water in the skimmer) The company who put it in is very busy, came by once and did not see where the problem. I'm a little ticked at that. Thought the smart veteran pond owners here could direct me on how to detect that leak.

Attachments

• P7180210.jpg
    P7180210.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 233
  • P7180215.jpg
    P7180215.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 263
  • P7180212.jpg
    P7180212.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 228
  • P7180214.jpg
    P7180214.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 245
  • P7180211.jpg
    P7180211.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 246
  • P7180216.jpg
    P7180216.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 242
  • P7180213.jpg
    P7180213.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 234
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Do these photos help? I do have fish and a couple frogs in the pond. The foliage around the falls seem fuller this year ... though that may be my imagination.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would closely inspect the area within the Yellow outline.
GPF waterfall leak2.JPG

The flat rock appears to be sitting quite low in the water. It can also be seen in your photo 214. jpg
If the liner is not properly positioned behind the rock water could be seeping under this rock.
I would start looking in that spot. The soil behind the rock should be quite moist if not wet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That's a nice set-up. Don't forget about evaporation. It's crazy hot around here. Afternoon thunderstorms have been doing a nice job of replenishing the water many days, but the water drop before each storm is noticeable. I would estimate my pond drops up to 2 inches on the hottest days. I have a stream/waterfall, too, and that's more surface area to evaporate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would closely inspect the area within the Yellow outline.
View attachment 102219

The flat rock appears to be sitting quite low in the water. It can also be seen in your photo 214. jpg
If the liner is not properly positioned behind the rock water could be seeping under this rock.
I would start looking in that spot. The soil behind the rock should be quite moist if not wet.
THANK YOU!! Very kind of you to take the close look. I will inspect tomorrow and report back!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That's a nice set-up. Don't forget about evaporation. It's crazy hot around here. Afternoon thunderstorms have been doing a nice job of replenishing the water many days, but the water drop before each storm is noticeable. I would estimate my pond drops up to 2 inches on the hottest days. I have a stream/waterfall, too, and that's more surface area to evaporate.
I am in that area of northern Illinois that got all the flooding last week. My yard was a swamp until the storm drains cleared. A rainfall more or less takes the place of filling which I documented over a month. On the average I have to add water every 2-3 days. We don't have runs of very hot weather. I turned off the falls for 5 days and did not have the problem. I am going to look closely again at the falls as Meyer Jordan suggested. BTW, thanks for the compliment. I LOVE my pond and falls. I look out on it from a kitchen with sliding doors. Feels like I am outside!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The foliage around the falls seem fuller this year ...

Be sure to check your falls for areas where plants may be wicking water or crossing over the liner from the stream to the surrounding ground. Plants can re-direct the flow of the water out of the stream without it being apparent. Good luck!

Glad to hear the flood waters have receded. Still a few roads closed, but things seem to be clearing up all around us as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You're right; I should have read your first post more carefully. Turning off the falls is the way to isolate that variable, which you did. We're in a little heat wave here right now, so I read your post through my own current experience, incorrectly. I hope you find your leak. I had one in the Fall and it was beyond aggravating.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
THANK YOU!! Very kind of you to take the close look. I will inspect tomorrow and report back!
That flat rock is in front of a substantial bit of the rubber liner. So I will have to continue to look for the leak. But thanks so much for your input. It is definitely in the falls.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What is the age of this pond?
Do you happen to know if one continuous piece of liner was used for both pond and waterfalls or where there two or more pieces overlapped in the construction process?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You might also look for areas along the falls/stream that are growing better, faster, longer, etc than others. That's often a clue that water is flowing in/on/through there.

Ask a Question