Pond leaking

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by BBurnJackie, Jul 18, 2017.

1. BBurnJackie

BBurnJackie

I am pretty sure I have a leak somewhere in the falls area of my pond because when it was off in the winter and I used just the aerator and deicer, the pond level was unchanged. And I just did a test and turned off the pump, therefor the falls, and the level stayed the same. Otherwise, depending on rain, I am adding water to the pond every 2-3 days.(so the pump stays below water in the skimmer) The company who put it in is very busy, came by once and did not see where the problem. I'm a little ticked at that. Thought the smart veteran pond owners here could direct me on how to detect that leak.

BBurnJackie, Jul 18, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. BBurnJackie

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Can you post some photos of the waterfall area from different angles..

Meyer Jordan, Jul 18, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. BBurnJackie

BBurnJackie

Attached Files:

BBurnJackie, Jul 19, 2017
  4. BBurnJackie

BBurnJackie

Do these photos help? I do have fish and a couple frogs in the pond. The foliage around the falls seem fuller this year ... though that may be my imagination.

5. BBurnJackie

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

I would closely inspect the area within the Yellow outline.
    GPF waterfall leak2.JPG

The flat rock appears to be sitting quite low in the water. It can also be seen in your photo 214. jpg
    If the liner is not properly positioned behind the rock water could be seeping under this rock.
    I would start looking in that spot. The soil behind the rock should be quite moist if not wet.

Meyer Jordan, Jul 19, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  6. BBurnJackie

Spartamets

That's a nice set-up. Don't forget about evaporation. It's crazy hot around here. Afternoon thunderstorms have been doing a nice job of replenishing the water many days, but the water drop before each storm is noticeable. I would estimate my pond drops up to 2 inches on the hottest days. I have a stream/waterfall, too, and that's more surface area to evaporate.

Spartamets, Jul 19, 2017
  7. BBurnJackie

BBurnJackie

THANK YOU!! Very kind of you to take the close look. I will inspect tomorrow and report back!

8. BBurnJackie

BBurnJackie

I am in that area of northern Illinois that got all the flooding last week. My yard was a swamp until the storm drains cleared. A rainfall more or less takes the place of filling which I documented over a month. On the average I have to add water every 2-3 days. We don't have runs of very hot weather. I turned off the falls for 5 days and did not have the problem. I am going to look closely again at the falls as Meyer Jordan suggested. BTW, thanks for the compliment. I LOVE my pond and falls. I look out on it from a kitchen with sliding doors. Feels like I am outside!

9. BBurnJackie

Lisak1

Be sure to check your falls for areas where plants may be wicking water or crossing over the liner from the stream to the surrounding ground. Plants can re-direct the flow of the water out of the stream without it being apparent. Good luck!

Glad to hear the flood waters have receded. Still a few roads closed, but things seem to be clearing up all around us as well.

Lisak1, Jul 19, 2017
    Meyer Jordan likes this.
  10. BBurnJackie

Spartamets

You're right; I should have read your first post more carefully. Turning off the falls is the way to isolate that variable, which you did. We're in a little heat wave here right now, so I read your post through my own current experience, incorrectly. I hope you find your leak. I had one in the Fall and it was beyond aggravating.

Spartamets, Jul 19, 2017
  11. BBurnJackie

BBurnJackie

That flat rock is in front of a substantial bit of the rubber liner. So I will have to continue to look for the leak. But thanks so much for your input. It is definitely in the falls.

BBurnJackie, Jul 20, 2017
  12. BBurnJackie

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

What is the age of this pond?
    Do you happen to know if one continuous piece of liner was used for both pond and waterfalls or where there two or more pieces overlapped in the construction process?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Meyer Jordan, Jul 20, 2017
  13. BBurnJackie

mrtrumpet

You might also look for areas along the falls/stream that are growing better, faster, longer, etc than others. That's often a clue that water is flowing in/on/through there.

mrtrumpet, Jul 20, 2017
  14. BBurnJackie

Usman

have u tried turning off ur waterfall ?

Usman, Jul 20, 2017
  15. BBurnJackie

LeahHorton

I was having the same issue.

LeahHorton, Jul 21, 2017
  16. BBurnJackie

Lisak1

It's in the original post @Usman . That's why she suspected the falls in the first place.

Lisak1, Jul 21, 2017
    Usman likes this.
  17. BBurnJackie

Feddy

I wish I could help, but I just wanted to chime in and compliment you on the lovely waterfall feature. Really stunning. Good luck with the fix. The evaporation has really ramped up here in Kansas over the last couple of weeks, and I'm having to add 3-4" of water every 10 days or so.

Feddy, Jul 21, 2017
  18. BBurnJackie

sissy sissy

could your plants hanging over be wicking water up and out of the waterfall .I had water hyacinth that had roots last year that escaped the waterfall pond and they were pulling water out of the pond to stay alive .The plant was in the water but had babies that were hanging over the side out of the water .I guess momma plant was trying to keep her babies alive.

sissy, Jul 21, 2017
  19. BBurnJackie

BBurnJackie

I took photos as they were building it. There is one continuous piece of liner over the pond and waterfalls and the pond was installed July of 2014.The installer came by. He is puzzled but thought maybe my statue which has an orb that water was flowing over was splashing too much. I think he is full of algae!! This statue has been there since day one and the water flow has not changed. Remain perplexed!!

BBurnJackie, Jul 25, 2017
  20. BBurnJackie

BBurnJackie

My plants are on the periphery except water lilies. But I will take a closer look. Thanks!

BBurnJackie, Jul 25, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question