Pond Leaks

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a small garden pond with 2 small waterfalls installed in my back yard 21/2 years ago. It leaked then and the company came out a apparently fixed it temporarily. They found several leaks, one being from a seam they glued together. The past 2 summers, there have been problems with leaks and they came out and tried to fix them. This spring there was a bad leak. The water level dropped about 6 inches in 2 days. I called them again and they wanted me to do some troubleshooting, which I did. It still leaks. One of the things they had me do was loosen the fittings in the "well" so the pressure from the pump is not so high in the waterfall and it "relaxes" the system as he said. He says this lowers the pressure and keeps the water from spilling over the liner in the fall. It seemed to slow the leak but now the check valve won't stop the water when I have to turn the pump off and when I do this all the water from the falls drains to the main pond and into the overflow. When I turn the pump back on I will have to add 2-3 inches of water that I lost. Sorry about the long history, but here is my question. It seems to me, if the system was installed properly, I wouldn't have to loosen the fittings and allow all the water to go over the overflow. My pond is not that large (about 80 sq ft) and I think they should have used one piece of liner instead of gluing 2 together. Does anyone know if this is a common practice.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
graphics-welcome-349622.gif

Your pond is about 80 square feet. Sounds like they patched two remnants together. You don't correct a water loss by loosening fittings on a pump. Sounds like they either screwed up the design or the pump size/flow. Was this a professional pond company?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It seems to me, if the system was installed properly, I wouldn't have to loosen the fittings and allow all the water to go over the overflow. My pond is not that large (about 80 sq ft) and I think they should have used one piece of liner instead of gluing 2 together. Does anyone know if this is a common practice.

You are absolutely correct. I can state with absolute confidence that if these people used two pieces of liner (seamed) instead of one continuous piece they are not only not professionals but hardly qualify as novice pondkeepers.
I was a Water Feature contractor for 20 years so I know of what I speak.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and so sad that so called pond builders are out there that have no clue what they are doing .They should find the leak and replace the liner

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 100722

Your pond is about 80 square feet. Sounds like they patched two remnants together. You don't correct a water loss by loosening fittings on a pump. Sounds like they either screwed up the design or the pump size/flow. Was this a professional pond company?
Yes it was a professional company that does landscape design, irrigation, pools etc. I think the crew that installed it was new to installation though.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The typical landscape company is about one notch higher in the pond knowledge level than the proverbial 'Trunk-slammer'.
Always contact someone that specializes in Water Features exclusively.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I found out the hard way. Just trying to see what my options might be to salvage my pond. Thanks for the input.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wish we could help with your problem and it is hard for us to admit we can't fix your problem .We would all prefer it be an easy simple fix but seems you have checked for every possible leak .Have you checked your hoses to see if a part has not been glued or clamped properly

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ugh. I feel for you - there's nothing worse than paying for a job and having it done incorrectly. I would get a second opinion. Continuing with these same people seems pointless - you'd just be throwing good money after bad. Your instincts are correct - they don't know how to fix the problem, or it wouldn't be a problem in the first place!

Ask a Question