Pond levels drop suddenly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our pond level keeps dropping 1 foot over night. We top it up & it holds its level from 1to 7 days. No obvious signs of leak. Has anybody got any ideas please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome Jayne :)

Waterfall : Most times a leak lies in the waterfall. Do you have one? If so, fill pond and turn it off and watch the level for 24 hours. In cold weather, ice dams can form and direct water from the pond.

Liner: If the water level still drops, refill the pond and watch to see how low it will go, When it's dropped before, how low does it go? Inspect the liner at the level it drops to, for punctures / holes....hopefully it's not this and isn't too low.

Plumbing : Check all your lines, for loose connections or cracks.

Skimmer box: If you have a skimmer, check to make sure it's level and is properly attached to your liner.

Again, welcome to our friendly forum !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, we don't have a waterfall, will check liner at level it drops to and skimmer box

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
evaporation happens in the winter also .Leaks always seem to happen when they are hard to find because of weather

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

If the water loss is consistent, it's most likely a leak somewhere. But it sounds like you're experiencing a more inconsistent loss, which points to something else.

Tell us about your pond - how big, how many gallons, what kind of construction, do you have filtration, how many fish, etc. Anything you can share might give us a clue as to what can be happening. Also what's your weather been like? How old is your pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have you checked your skimmer to make sure it does not have a crack in it .Pond info would help greatly like said .Also sorry forgot to say welcome to our pond sight and we love helping others so they can solve any little problems .Pics of your pond would help also and do you have ice on it as I have seen others say on here that when it starts to thaw that water gets on top of the ice and gets directed out of the pond

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Let us know where it stops dropping.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) As mentioned above more info about your pond would be helpful here (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had something similar happen with a waterfall. it would be fine and then, from what I could surmise plant growth would get to a certain level that it was causing things to back up and then overflow.

I know you don't have a waterfall, but could plants somehow be causing water to flow out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome!!!
The fact you said that the level drops about a foot, and then after you fill it, there is no drop for 1-7 days, then again it drops fast. If you are having freezing temps, and there is ice, look around the edges. A picture of your pond would give us all an idea of possibilities, too. I have plant bogs on each of my 2 ponds. One has been running all winter, ice and all, with no issues. The other was running and ice formed above the running water, but in a couple of areas where the plants were close to the edge, they diverted the water up and over the edge. My ponds are about 6" above ground, to keep ground water from flowing into them, so the overflows were easily detected. Plants can shift and cause water to be diverted over and edge, and ice can do the same thing.

Ask a Question