Pond lighting? Good for the fish?

Reaction score
I recently purchased some little submersible LED light rocks from Lowes that are meant to be pond lighting. I would like to put them in the water, but I am wondering if that will hurt the fish's eyes in some way. I certainly do not want to do that. I could always just position them some way outside of the pond, where they are not shining into the water. Also, even if it will not hurt their eyes, can they sleep with this light on? I could not sleep with some light shining in my face. So do yall think that the light will hurt or bother the fish in some way? They are solar, in that they come on automatically at night and go off during the day.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I would imagine that fish might be as sensitive to bright light as we are, chances are they will avoid swimming into or directly looking at the light. I have seen quite a few pond pictures that have lights on in the pond at night. More than anything, lights are for accent so we can see our fish and admire our ponds after dark.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my fish actually hang out around the underwater lights in the basement pond and would spend time in the lit areas from my solar spotlights outside so i turned them to just spotlight the falls. no sense aiding any nighttime preditors

Reaction score
Have them in my pond and the fish are always hangin around them when turned on, not sure if affects there sight or not but they seem to enjoy it.

Reaction score
It's an interesting topic. I, too, have wanted to get these lights but I always said to myself---well, what if I had lights blaring at me all night? How would I sleep?? LOL!

I do have lights on the surface of my pond tho, so not sure what difference it would really make. It's funny how we personalize things about our fish...will it hurt their eyes, will it harm their beauty rest/sleep? etc.

I'm not sure how much heat LED's give off. Isn't it the point of LED's that they are not hot? Curious....

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I ran electrical conduit about fifteen feet from the garage, and I buried the condiut just under the edge of the side walk. I have a 15 amp breaker just for the pond. If I have to work on or around the pond, I can turn off the breaker.

I have a four GFI outlets in a weather proof box next to the pond. Before I ran the power from the garage I had extention cord running across the yard from the house.

Being safe is worth the effort.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have a light that sits on a rock about 1 inch above the water on my raised pond
My koi hang out by it all night
They seem to like to see were there going

Ask a Question