Pond lighting? Good for the fish?

migsly

Banned
Reaction score
I have a porch light that I switch on sometimes over my pond at night. Since the water is crystal clear, I can see the fish swishing around and playing at night from my window.

migsly

Banned
Reaction score
My porch light is not directly over my pond either but like your sensor light, almost over it. That's neat that your fish make the sensor light turn on. They must be pretty big. lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I go out at night to the pond and use my 1,000,000 Candlepower Halogen Spotlight.:banana::trampolin::highfive: :nananananana:

migsly

Banned
Reaction score
:nananananana: Poor fish. :highfive: You are kidding, right? Please say you are kidding!

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Sorry Migsly, I didn't intend to give the impression that the shubukins in my pond turn on the motion sensor light by moving around. Usually it's the killer guard dog or myself that will turn on the light. Even still it's nice to flip the switch and watch the fish from inside the house when the weather is to nasty to go outside.

migsly

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, it's wonderful. My pond is above ground and right outside my window. When it rains, the over hang of the roof makes a waterfall in the pond. The fish dig that.

I love your pond pix. They are beautiful. Is that white poodle your killer guard dog? :nananananana: It's so cute.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi Migsly,

Mr. Buttons thinks he's killer dog of the north. You know, big dog trapped in a small dogs body. I haven't managed to get a picture of it, but Mr. Buttons will stand at the ponds edge and watch the fish.

Reaction score
I feel my fish like the lights at night. They swim in the lighted areas and we enjoy watching them. I do feel they need darkness as well for health and wellbeing. Do my fish need it? Not really but we like it. Here is my opinion on this subject. It is not normal for most living creatures to not receive light. In the ocean the fish that are in the deepest depths don't receive light are different compared to the ones that get light from the sun. So when we hit the sack the fish hit the sack and all lights are out.

Reaction score
hamsters.

I added solar lighting to light up my water fall at night and the fish seem to like being in that area also.

Ask a Question