Pond lighting question?????

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a very small pond and would like to illuminate it with submersible pond lights. Is it possible to light it up enough to watch my fish at night? Or is that asking too much? What brand is best? How many volts or watts or what? My pond is only four feet by five feet at the widest and four by two at the narrowest point. Oh and about two feet deep. Any suggestions are appreciated!

:goldfish:Thanks!!!!

Reaction score
Okay well....

I am totally obscessing over my pond again and decided to pick up a Beckett 20 watt light kit with transformer. I don't know if that is enough light to see my fish at night or not but we shall see.....(it was the last one at the home improvement store)

If anyone knows anything about this please advise....I still have the receipt! LOL!

Reaction score
I had a pond a similar size and a 10 watt light was sufficient to light it up. A 20 watt should light it up fine. One thing to check is to see if it has a sensor and a timer if you don't want it on all the time. If it doesn't you can put it on a timer. I only run mine 4 hours a night.

Reaction score
froglover said:
I had a pond a similar size and a 10 watt light was sufficient to light it up. A 20 watt should light it up fine. One thing to check is to see if it has a sensor and a timer if you don't want it on all the time. If it doesn't you can put it on a timer. I only run mine 4 hours a night.

Hi Froglover!
Ahhhh! A timer would work wouldn't it.The one I bought states that it has a built in daylight sensor. I am very curious to see how Hockeyref likes his set from Laguna. It is a set of 3 lights ten watts each. I am going to install the one I bought to see how well it illuminates my little pond. If it doesn't provide the effect I am looking for and Hockeyref loves his. I may return mine. To buy one like his. Home Depot has GREAT return policies. How many gallons is your current pond? Do your lights illuminate your pond enough to see your fish?:profile:
Thanks for your replies!
Froggymomma:goldfish:

Reaction score
Your 20 watt will light the pond up brighter than the three 10 watt set. I have the same 10 watt set in my stream. Right now they are not working, I don't know if by chance all three bulbs burned out at the same time or if something else is wrong. I went to Lowes but they were out of bulbs. I also have a problem with water getting into them.

My 8 x 11 foot pond has only one 20 watt light in it and I can see all the fish at night. I was going to attach some pictures of my ponds but they were to large and I will have to resize them.

I guess today is a good day to do that since it is rainy and I can't work outside.

I resized one to give you an idea how large a pond a 20 watt can light.

Attachments

• avitar.JPG
    avitar.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 419
  • garden 4-10--08 014.jpg
    garden 4-10--08 014.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 426
  • Pond ll-6-07 010 avatar.jpg
    Pond ll-6-07 010 avatar.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 419
Reaction score
froglover said:
Your 20 watt will light the pond up brighter than the three 10 watt set. I have the same 10 watt set in my stream. Right now they are not working, I don't know if by chance all three bulbs burned out at the same time or if something else is wrong. I went to Lowes but they were out of bulbs. I also have a problem with water getting into them.

My 8 x 11 foot pond has only one 20 watt light in it and I can see all the fish at night. I was going to attach some pictures of my ponds but they were to large and I will have to resize them.

I guess today is a good day to do that since it is rainy and I can't work outside.

I resized one to give you an idea how large a pond a 20 watt can light.

WOW!!!!! Your pond is so beautiful! To think everyday I can't wait to go outside and see my little pond. I think if I had your pond I'd probably sleep outside! LOL! It seems so cozy! Well done! What do you have living in there right now? Oh and I LOVED the frog pic! Did you import him as a tadpole?
Thanks sooo much for the pics!:profile:

Reaction score
That was my first time posting pictures. I made them a little bigger, to see if they came out any better.

Attachments

• Pond  4-10--08 014.jpg
    Pond 4-10--08 014.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 357
  • Pond ll-6-07 006.jpg
    Pond ll-6-07 006.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 400
Reaction score
Well the pictures came out larger but out of focus. I'll have to experiment more. I have several gold fish, shununkins, 1 koi, tadpoles, mosquito fish and today I am adding chinese high fin sharks. Oh yes, and japanese trapdoor snails, ramhorn snails and olive nerite snails. I also have numerous frogs. Just now I received chinese high fin sharks and shununkins I ordered on e-bay, I haven't released them yet, but they look great.

Carolyn

Reaction score
WoW! Your pond sounds exciting! Do you buy your livestock/plants locally or do you usually buy online? I am debating on buying plants online from pondplantsdirect.com they have a nice assortment. I am tempted but i don't know how good of a condition they would arrive in...kwim? I especially am fond of the mosaic plant.....it looks so pretty and it may provide a little more shade to help control algae....atleast that is how I am rationalizing it to myself...lol! Your pond is pretty! Keep posting those pics! I love it! :profile:)

Reaction score
Today is the first time I ever received fish from e-bay. They were shipped overnight in California and all arrived in great shape. I have bought tadpoles locally at pet stores and on-line also. Also most all my plants were purchased on-line. The thing about pond plants when you receive them in the mail they look awful, but I put them in a bucket of water for a few days then trim and pot them in aquatic soil and put them in a whiskey barrel planter until they get a good root system before I put them in the pond. A lot of my plants were purchased through another forum, one of the members was having a end of the season sale last year and selling plants for $1.00 and $2.00 a piece.

Reaction score
froglover said:
Today is the first time I ever received fish from e-bay. They were shipped overnight in California and all arrived in great shape. I have bought tadpoles locally at pet stores and on-line also. Also most all my plants were purchased on-line. The thing about pond plants when you receive them in the mail they look awful, but I put them in a bucket of water for a few days then trim and pot them in aquatic soil and put them in a whiskey barrel planter until they get a good root system before I put them in the pond. A lot of my plants were purchased through another forum, one of the members was having a end of the season sale last year and selling plants for $1.00 and $2.00 a piece.

Oh! The wiskey barrel is a good idea. When you bought the tadpoles online did you have to have them flown by air freight? I bought mine at the local aquarium store but have been tempted to order online. I just don't want them to die on the way over here.

I read somewhere that soaking the plant roots in a diluted miracle grow mixture helps revive them after arriving. Do you think that is overkill?:profile:

Wow! Good deal on the plants!:banana:

Reaction score
Here are a couple pictures of the fish I received yesterday that I purchased on e-bay. E-Bay requires that all living items be shipped overnight so their shipping is generally pretty high. I have purchased tadpoles both with overnight and two day shipping. If it is cool weather, it really doesn't make a difference. If they are going to die, they will die in one day sometimes poluting the water and causing all of them to die.

Did you get your light installed? I would love to see some pictures of your pond.

Attachments

• e-bay fish.jpg
    e-bay fish.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 353
  • e-bay fish 2.jpg
    e-bay fish 2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 322
Reaction score
froglover said:
Here are a couple pictures of the fish I received yesterday that I purchased on e-bay. E-Bay requires that all living items be shipped overnight so their shipping is generally pretty high. I have purchased tadpoles both with overnight and two day shipping. If it is cool weather, it really doesn't make a difference. If they are going to die, they will die in one day sometimes poluting the water and causing all of them to die.

Did you get your light installed? I would love to see some pictures of your pond.

Wow! Pretty fish.

Well, my pond is kind of cheesey compared to yours but, I'll takes some pics when it stops rainning. So you can see it.

I haven't had time to install the light. My husband and kids are sick. :profile:(

I am definately going to do it this weekend though! :banana:)

Reaction score
Okay! I have been trying on and off since Saturday to post some pond pics but I don't know how to make to file small enough to be uploaded.......????????What do I need to do?
Thanks!
Froggymomma

Ask a Question