Pond Lighting

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since i lasted posted, but now that things are starting to warm up i'm starting to think about all the projects i want to do this year.

The first one is an arched bridge over the pond. Underneath this bridge i want to fit hidden lighting that can be activated by remote control. I also want to be able to select the colour.

I've looked at rope lights, but they seem to be fixed colours. I haven't found any where you can select the colours.

There are LED strip solutions, such as the ones you can stick behind televisions, but i don't think they're suitable for outside.

Any ideas?

cheers,

Andy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi,

Just to update this thread on what i ended up with...

I found a supplier in the UK that sold 50cm long tubes with LED stripes inside them. The tubes can be controlled by either an IR remote (line of sight), or an RF remote (can be hidden by non metallic things, i.e. behind a wood panel), and are partially obscured so that the light only shines through half of the tube along it's length. The tubes can also be linked together to form a longer chain. On the face of it these were exactly what i'd been looking for.

These were the ones i bought :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001TDZ66U/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
However, despite a lot of problems - broken in post (someone dropped something heavy right in the middle of the packet and cracked all the tubes), waiting, reordering, etc - i eventually got them installed, only to discover that they're practically useless!

The LED's are far to weak. It has to be almost pitch black to see them (yes, i checked the Intensity setting :) ) and worst of all you can clearly see the tubes under the bridge reflecting off the water. It doesn't look that good.

So back to the drawing board.

My next idea is to use LED Spotlights under the bridge, but at either end. They should be brighter, and by mounting them on land under the bridge the reflection shouldn't be visible.

This is what i'm thinking of replacing them with

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics®...9334809&sr=1-15&keywords=led+spotlight+remote

The only issue here is that it's under the bridge so an IR remote probably won't work. I'm still hunting for one that uses RF.

cheers,

Andy.

Reaction score
Andy,

I am going to lead you in a totally different and unique direction here with this idea, so bare with me.

First of all, forget about using the IR or RF control to select your lighting colors. You can set up some circuit to be able to turn the entire system ON/OFF via one of these two methods, but the color will be controlled by something else, and this is what I think would be special.

By applying some electronics engineering knowledge and using some transistors, op-amps, SCRs or TRIACs and a few simple frequency selective filters with a microphone and amplifier circuit, you could create a "color organ" where the lights (LEDs) change color based upon the frequency of the sounds in the environment.

If you have music playing, the lights could be changing colors with the changing tempo rapidly or slowly to the beat of the music. Low frequency drums could flash a RED color and a medium frequency guitar strum could light up the green LEDs. A higher pitched flute or symbol could light the blue LEDs, etc.

If there is no music, just the ambient noise of the pond and water running, you could do the same with just some refining of the programming to get it to do what you like. But, maybe footsteps across the bridge would cause a certain set of LED lights to "pump on" with each footstep, like some sci-fi movie. Or maybe the crickets would turn on one set of lights for a moment and a night bird another, all based upon the frequency of their own sound.

I built something like this back in the 70's/80's to hook up to my stereo and control sets of colored Christmas lights. It was akin to "disco-tech" lights. They even used to sell these things, prefabbed back in the day. If you looked for them, you might find them still around. I had kinda forgotten about them until you brought this subject up. But, you can build one yourself quite easily if you have a little electronics background and the desire to research more.

I doubt that this is the exact concept you were looking for, but it was something I think you could pursue in a slightly different direction that might make your pond bridge lighting unique. It is just a thought that I had.

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
make the light shine down I found these at lowes/After christmas they went on clearance for 5 dollars
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:61037]200 lumen ones did not have dawn to dusk sensor but 400 lumen ones did

Attachments

• pics of pic saver 11222013 008.JPG
    pics of pic saver 11222013 008.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 276
  • thanksgiving 2013 087.JPG
    thanksgiving 2013 087.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 223
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Lighting was a big hassle for me, even in my small ponds. My first pond I used little 9" 24 LED Submersible Strips and sandwiched them between acrylic disc for a 360 Degree field and they looked good!
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:50539]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:50538]
I used the same strips to light the small falls from the newer ponds fountain
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3244]

The disc got in the way and the fish did not seem to like them so the newer Pond I bought a 24 LED per light, 6 Piece Light set for $40 on eBay. The good thing about these is they have a Bubbled acrylic front window and NO Reflective housing so light shines direct but also lights up a 160 degree field as well!
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2816]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3043]

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi Jason,

Nice pictures of your pond there. Just goes to show how good lighting can work if it's done correctly.

I'm still looking around for suitable lights, and, i have to admit, 'discussing' what's ok with the mrs :) We have slightly different ideas, but i think seeing your pictures might convince her.

I'll definately install the LED spotlight i posted the link too though. For the waterfall i was thinking of underwater spots that shine up out of the pool at the waterfall.

cheers,

Andy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi Gordy,

Triacs... haven't heard that term for a long time. How much current are you planning on controlling here? I'm not setting up Kw searchlights! ;) I bet you've worked with valves as well?

These days there's chips out there that can supply up to a couple of amps for LED's and have all the inputs you need to do this.

However, as much as i might like to do this, i'd never get it past the mrs.. :) She's more of a minimalist when it come to lighting effects.

Your idea for a filter though... i'm going to have a go at that when i get time.

cheers,

Andy.

Ask a Question