Pond liner adhesive ?

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

Haven't been on my computer lately, really no time but we're hiring a nanny soon so I will have time to deal with my pond.

I wanted your opinions on these adhesives ?

In order to raise the edges of my pond that suffers major run offs I have to buy extra liner (trying to keep the cost reasonable, and a new liner for this pond would cost at least 700$).

So I was wondering adding 2 10x13 liners that I'd fix on the sides of the existing liner would work ?

The existing liner is also old... and would not survive if i was trying to pull the sides or anything, that's why I was thinking of adding extra liner. With the water pressure and rocks on top of the adhesive it seems to me like it should be fine, but I'm just not sure.

Thanks for the help.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not sure it would work .Welcome back and how is the new baby .

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I have done that but I used the same adhesive and primer that the roofers (and factory I think) use to bond EPDM.

But rather then add to both edges I would drain the pond and add liner to one side if the shape allows.. You have to bond the liners on a flat surface like a driveway. I did mine without removing the liner by using a 2'x8' chunk of plywood under the bit I was working on. Pulled all the wrinkles out and attached spring clamps.

Kudos on the kidlet :)

Reaction score
Sissy thx for asking. Se's fine but the type that takes no nap and needs a new game every 20 minutes ! At least I've lost 60 pounds out of the 70 I had put on with the pregnancy lol so I'm almost back to normal :)

Thx for the answers
here is how I was thinking it would work ?

you can see first how the actual liner has been installed ( big problem) and how I was hoping correcting that.

Attachments

• photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 489
Reaction score
HTH that's what I'm gonna do... drain the pond remove the stones and add the liner on the 2 sides of the pond that require it. Gonna have the cleaning done by a company but I don't trust anybody anymore to fix this pond... I spent a lot of time checking when it rains where the water comes from... I just want it done right this time.

Thx. As for the adhesive you used you've had no problem with your fish ? The existing liner being old I kinda wanna use also something not to harsh... last thing i need it that liner to break...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It may work like that but if the water is up to the top it will leach between the liners .They do sell billboard /pondliners and they do seem strong and cheap .Just google it .

Reaction score
Ho wow i didn't know about the billboard. a 20 x 60 for 100$ !

Is it really reliable as pond liner ?

The water usually goes up to the middle of the first "step"... and when it rains it overflows so it reaches the 2nd step.

Gonna call the contractor I have found to help me and see what he thinks of the billboard. Thx a million for that tip !

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw one at a garden center nd did not know it was one until they told me .I had never heard of it but some one posted it on here also .The pvc liners at lowes are pretty cheap my one neighbor has one made of it .He said back 12 years ago that was all he could buy around here so he bought it .He did not know about roofing rubber and that it could be used .He had his pond before I moved in here .

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Rivermist said:
HTH that's what I'm gonna do... drain the pond remove the stones and add the liner on the 2 sides of the pond that require it. Gonna have the cleaning done by a company but I don't trust anybody anymore to fix this pond... I spent a lot of time checking when it rains where the water comes from... I just want it done right this time.

Thx. As for the adhesive you used you've had no problem with your fish ? The existing liner being old I kinda wanna use also something not to harsh... last thing i need it that liner to break...
This is for EPDM only. No trouble with the fish. The key is getting the old liner 100% clean. We used a scotch bright pad with dawn, rinsed, then wiped with alcohol.

The PVC billboard material is 15 to 17mil, The EPDM roofing rubber I use is 45 mil and 20 year old liners are still stretchy. Not saying the PVC won't work but it is only 1/3 as thick and it is PVC.

Reaction score
Ho interreting... I can get some roofing rubber from my friend who has a roofing company.

Also found some 40mil PVC for a reasonable price. our pond is not too exposed to the sun... actually it's even kinda shady.

For the 20yo liner, the company I called for the work says they don't want to touch it or they certainly won't guarantee their work cos according to them it can rupture... don't really know what to think... i just want a clean pond to enjoy...

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I was not trying to sell you my 20 year old liner. I was trying to make the point the EPDM ages well. I expect they are just covering their behinds.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Rivermist said:
LOL Good I would not buy your liner :p haha
Sounds like you are discriminating against the elderly !

Seriously I do not like having to buy anything twice. Maybe that whey I have been married so long :)

Reaction score
LOL in the next house the pond will be done right the first time. But we've spent +3000$ last year to so called fix the 3 ponds;.. result happened to be shitty and the company we hired knew nothing apparently. So this year my budget is messed up lol I can't do a 700$ liner lol

But If I go for PVC I probably can have the whole pond redone. Leaning towards that right now lol

Ask a Question