Pond liner possible leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi we have a 629 litre pond with liner in a single layer we are noticing that the pond level is not staying up we filled it up last night and today the water lever has gone down at least 2 inch how do we know if we have a leak or should we have a double layer of liner we cannot see if it is leaking thanks for your advice

Attachments

• IMG_20190819_150638.jpg
    IMG_20190819_150638.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 153
Reaction score
Assuming you aren’t loosing any water via outside filtration, pipes, etc.... then let the water drop until it stops and look for the hole in order to patch it up. One liner is the norm.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
many thanks for your reply the pump we have is a hozelock 6000 with all in one filer and uv so no pipes going out of the pond but i only filled it up last night and with all the rain we had in the uk we would have thought it would have stayed full , i cannot see any air bubbles from a hole in liner

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You won't see air bubbles, but the water will stop at the level where the hole is. Also look for wet dirt (when it has not rained lol) that can help find the leak.

Reaction score
There won't be any air coming back into the pond from most leaks. I would just keep waiting to see where it stops and then check the liner on that perimeter. 2 inches is a lot for one night though. ARe you not seeing any water coming out from under the pond... or saturated soil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for your replys we canot tell at the moment if the ground around pond is wet as its been raining heavy today , i took a couple of pictures before and after fill up to see what happens over night , would the pump be causing this issue we have thanks

Attachments

• after .jpg
    after .jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 140
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 140

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
would the pump be causing this issue we have thanks
It can if the pump lines run out of the pond. You might have a leak in a connection. Waterfalls are a common water leak area also. I don't think you said you had one of those.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for your reply all though we would like a waterfall at some stage the only display we have is a fountain there is no external hose coming out from the pond the only cable coming out is electrical

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
If you have no fish in it yet turn off the pump and let it drain down. where it stops that is the level of your leak.If it drains right down then the leak is on the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Since you don't have any hoses or pipes outside of the pond it rules out a plumbing leak...obviously!
It's best to do as suggested, let it drain down until the leak stops. Then look and feel around at that level for the hole. Sometimes it can be difficult to find, but at least you know it's at that level. You said you lost two inches in one day. That's a significant amount, so you should be able to find that particular hole. It's definately not a pin hole.
Buy a patch kit or two. They are not expensive. I've seen them online for around $7 U.S. dollars.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for all your replys i think the issue was down to the pump not in correct postion as the level was ok over night

Ask a Question