Pond liner repair keeps leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I inherited a formal concrete koi pond and recently got it back up and running as it had nothing but rain water in it for the last 2 years. The rain water level never dropped but when I was in there emptying it out I must have caused a small rip in the butyl liner as it kept dropping after I filled it up with fresh water. I eventually managed to locate a tiny hole on the bottom curved edge of the liner and tried repairing with some double sided butyl tape and adheseal. I tried this twice and both times it started dropping again after a few days. I could see that the water was coming back through the middle of the butyl repair patch. I’ve since learned that the double sided tape is useless, and a couple of days ago used the proper Firestone rubber pond liner repair kit. It seemed much better when I did it and I was quite confident it would work but now the pond is dropping again.

When I last emptied it a couple of days ago, I noticed the double sided tape repair just peeled off, and the hole has been getting bigger. My concern is that there is a load of water between the liner and the concrete base/walls, and I’m thinking maybe this is causing pressure and pushing hard against the repair patches I’m doing? Could this be it? I’m not sure how I would go about solving the issue if so unless I emptied the pond and then just waited a few weeks for all the existing water to be absorbed through the concrete, but would be worried about leaving my koi in the paddling pool for that long.

Any help much appreciated!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you have any idea how old the liner is? It is possible that it has reached the point where it needs to be replaced.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would buy a new liner. There might be other holes also.

Welcome to our forum!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As @addy1 said that could be the best bet due to the size of the pond. There's a sticky under pond construction and equipment. This may help with how to seam and or repair a leak. The biggest tip is clean clean and clean the old liner real well. Make sure it is completely dry before you add the primer adhesive . Wait for that to dry to the touch . This glue /primer is a contact cement . It has to be Dry. And lastly make sure your patch is in the shape of a circle or at a minimum your corners are well rounded.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1621530043123.gif
@Haveacigar
Time for a new liner!

Ask a Question