pond liner/Roof liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
Good morning everyone
I'm just curious because I keep hearing different things and reading different subjects on this and I want everyone's input.

I might wanna do another fish pond in a different spot but what kind of roofing liner can you use or is it the same as the regular fish pond liner from what I heard it's pretty much the same but the roofing liner is better has anyone tryes this and can they tell me if it worked for them and what kind.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
what i was told by firestone is that roofing rubber has an algaecide in it that may be harmful to fish but they also commented that it is a coating ,so not sure what that means .Not sure if it is added to the mixture or a coating that is maybe sprayed on the rubber .I tried rubber roofing in the lotus lily pond and taddies didn't seem to mind ,but i did rinse it off really good but also noticed that there was no good muck on the liner ,but since there were so many taddies in there that could explain that .I actually got my piece at BDC discount lumber in Danville .They had a big piece clearanced out because it was damaged .I just cut what I needed off for the lily pond.So really can't say if it is really fish safe

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
what i was told by firestone is that roofing rubber has an algaecide in it that may be harmful to fish but they also commented that it is a coating ,so not sure what that means .Not sure if it is added to the mixture or a coating that is maybe sprayed on the rubber .I tried rubber roofing in the lotus lily pond and taddies didn't seem to mind ,but i did rinse it off really good but also noticed that there was no good muck on the liner ,but since there were so many taddies in there that could explain that .I actually got my piece at BDC discount lumber in Danville .They had a big piece clearanced out because it was damaged .I just cut what I needed off for the lily pond.So really can't say if it is really fish safe
We make certain products at the plant that call for biocide or sometimes an antibacterial agent, they go in as a powder, it get's extruded into the products.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
That's interesting but still don't know it's a 50/50 with people. I guess you won't know till you try. I guess if there is a bad chemical in the rubber and it's sealed how it would be harmful. I'm going to check to see what's the chemicals that are made for the pond liner it's self.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
That's interesting but still don't know it's a 50/50 with people. I guess you won't know till you try. I guess if there is a bad chemical in the rubber and it's sealed how it would be harmful. I'm going to check to see what's the chemicals that are made for the pond liner it's self.
As far as I know what we put in is completely safe, the anti-bac is used on drinking water safe products. Biocide goes into products made for pond environments. The compounds we use may differ from the roofing industry, and that anti-bac is COSTLY!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had rubber roofing in my pond before but it was older rubber roofing guy had left at his house after he retired from the roofing business and was moving .All he could tell me about it was that it was at least 15 years old or more .I bought it from him because it was cheap and my liner was leaking and that was at least 4 or 5 years ago and then moles chewed through it last year .So i replaced it with the firestone liner .Not sure when they started adding the stuff to there liners .i didn't have any problems with the one I had .I did wash it really good because it was really dirty from sitting around all those years and not sure what all the dirt was .The pieces that i could salvage were put under my filters so if they leaked it went right back into the pond .The new piece went in the lily pond because that was an after thought when rebuilding the pond .I know it was cheap at BDC which is builders discount center .I want a tractor tire to put the other piece in to maybe keep the frogs from invading my pond

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
So your saying it is safe bit it's costly?
the compound is $$. I don't know the difference in cost between EDPM and roof liner. But if there were little or none, I'd go with the EDPM. At least until the alternative is proven to be someway better.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I had rubber roofing in my pond before but it was older rubber roofing guy had left at his house after he retired from the roofing business and was moving .All he could tell me about it was that it was at least 15 years old or more .I bought it from him because it was cheap and my liner was leaking and that was at least 4 or 5 years ago and then moles chewed through it last year .So i replaced it with the firestone liner .Not sure when they started adding the stuff to there liners .i didn't have any problems with the one I had .I did wash it really good because it was really dirty from sitting around all those years and not sure what all the dirt was .The pieces that i could salvage were put under my filters so if they leaked it went right back into the pond .The new piece went in the lily pond because that was an after thought when rebuilding the pond .I know it was cheap at BDC which is builders discount center .I want a tractor tire to put the other piece in to maybe keep the frogs from invading my pond
Is there a difference in thickness between the two roofing and pond liner? I started with a PVC liner... Don't ever do this! I can't believe Tetra put their name on this product, three years and it was done!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I just build my pond in June with EPDM 60M roofing liner (not sure about the M.. kinda forget sometimes) Anyway, I rinsed the liner once with soap. I lost a few fish in the beginning, but I think that's due to the heavy clay/gravel silt that got in my pond.

My husband just went to the roofing supply he usually used and got me a big new roll. I only heard that the powder on the liner could plug up the fish gills. I dont know if that's true but I rinse the liner anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I have EPDM roofing liner in my pond. So do some of the other guys at work and a few customers. No problems what so ever. Best part is I didn't pay anything for it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The roofing liner is epdm just like the pond liner and the cost is less at BDC .The same sized liner I bought was only 187 dollars here and i paid on sale and free shipping in the winter was 247 dollars .Even pond liner they suggest you rinse it off first .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The ones at BDC say 45 mil .I looked at them today ..I had to go to Danville and had to pick up some 2x4's to build something with my new drills

Ask a Question