Pond liner type and sources

Reaction score
Hi,

I am "upgrading" my tiny pond (digging it all up and starting over) and I was wanting to know what type of liner would be best (with cost consideration) for a 27LX16WX4D pond with a 5' waterfall at one end. I am figuring a liner (hopefully one piece) that is 35'X 45'. I live in Lebanon, Oregon (Near Albany). Does anyone have any ideas on the type, EPDM, etc. and a source that is as reasonable as possible anywhere in my general area (Salem to Eugene) or somewhere that ships where the shipping isn't more than the liner :cool:

I will be keeping Koi and possible Goldfsh in the pond with plants, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Steven

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Hey, Steven. Ambitious project there.

My liner was 20'X40'. Nothing less than 40 mil EPDM will do for a pond that size.

When I bought mine early this year, the best delivered price was justliners.com, and by a pretty good bit. I would check them first in your search. I compared everywhere I could find, and delivered price is what matters. Good luck with the project.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Check with Home Depot, ours used to have EPDM and the last time I bought it they had 55 mil. It was $10.50 per foot in 15' widths.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Steven, I live in eugene and there are some good suppliers here in town for liner. I can give you the best local price I have found on liner. Price is better then ordering usually cause you don't have to pay for shipping.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
kiaya611 said:
Hi,

I am "upgrading" my tiny pond (digging it all up and starting over) and I was wanting to know what type of liner would be best (with cost consideration) for a 27LX16WX4D pond with a 5' waterfall at one end. I am figuring a liner (hopefully one piece) that is 35'X 45'. I live in Lebanon, Oregon (Near Albany). Does anyone have any ideas on the type, EPDM, etc. and a source that is as reasonable as possible anywhere in my general area (Salem to Eugene) or somewhere that ships where the shipping isn't more than the liner :lol:

Steven

I bought mine from bend tarp and liner, they are in bend oregon. This is the second pond I have used their liner for. Tough stuff.

Reaction score
I bought our liner in Portland from ACFWest. ACFWest sells to contractors and landscapers. The Portland store, which is their main building, is not fancy. But they have good prices and were helpful to us.

http://acfwest.com/

They have a store in Medford and the main shop in Portland. We bought a 40' X 25' chunk (45 mil) for less than 50 cents/sq. ft., which made it worthwhile to take the drive. They'll cut it to size lengthwise, but the widths are established by the roll.

I'm pretty sure it's the real thing, Firestone EPDM. Even if it isn't, I figure if their EPDM is good enuf for the pros in town it's good enuf for us.

You do know how heavy this stuff is, right? It weighs about 1/3 lb. per sq. ft. Our 1000 sq. ft. sheet weighed about 300 lbs., which created some complications. I learned real quick that my wife and I could only handle a small piece of it at a time. So I swept out the garage and the garage slab out front. Then drug it out lengthwise, then folded the 25 ft side in on itself a few times so we had a 40' long strip. Then we loaded that handful by handful onto a sheet of plywood that I'd attached to the brush hog on the back of our tractor. Then backed the tractor up to the hole and carefully peeled the EPDM off the sheet of plywood.

Take some time to think about how to manage the sheet, because it's heavy, it's hard to hold onto, and you don't want to get frustrated/mad/impatient and damage the liner.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
kiaya611 said:
Hi,

I am "upgrading" my tiny pond (digging it all up and starting over) and I was wanting to know what type of liner would be best (with cost consideration) for a 27LX16WX4D pond with a 5' waterfall at one end. I am figuring a liner (hopefully one piece) that is 35'X 45'. I live in Lebanon, Oregon (Near Albany). Does anyone have any ideas on the type, EPDM, etc. and a source that is as reasonable as possible anywhere in my general area (Salem to Eugene) or somewhere that ships where the shipping isn't more than the liner :smile:

Steven

Our liner was 38 x 50,

bend oregon

http://www.btlliners.com/

They will make any size you need. I got the ppl36 just because of the deer walking in our stream. I used the ppl24 for my az pond, which has been in the ground for 7 years, no issues. The ppl24 is .41 a sq foot.

Tell them you got a post card in the mail, offering 10% off of your next order and you will get 10% off, well if you order it this year.

The liner can be put right on raked dirt, without underlayment. I used carpet pad because we are shale with a little bit of dirt here.

You might want to check them out. the stuff is darn tough.

PPL-24 is a polyethylene product, so it has inherent hydrocarbon, chemical, and UV resistance. It also has excellent cold crack characteristics (-65F).

Ask a Question