Pond Liner

Reaction score
What size of liner would i need for a pond of the size of 12ft long x 6ft wide x 30 inches deep?

Any help would be apprecated

Darren

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The best way is to dig the hole, then run a tape measure through the longest part and make sure it laps over 2 feet at both ends and goes down and across the bottom. That way you will have enough and after trimming, you will be glad you had more than required.

I used this method on both my ponds.

Reaction score
Your pond size is:

12' x 6' x 2.5'

----------------------------

12' + 2.5' + 2.5' = 17'

6' + 2.5' + 2.5' = 11'

You would want a 20' x 15' liner

Reaction score
I found a 15' x 25' 60 MIL liner on eBay for about $220 delivered to your door. You may be able to find one that fits your exact needs.

There is also www.PondLiner.com and www.PondLiners.com

I've tried a couple of local pond shops for liners, but was told they just order them from other locations and have them shipped to them, probably from the above mentioned places.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys much appreacated my pond is 6ft long at the moment and want to extend it by anouth 6ft
the liner a am using just now is 4m x 3m for a 6ft x 6ft pond and want to add anouther 6ft in lenght would i not need an 8m x 3m liner as a had plenty to trim off it?

Thanks Darren

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
With 2ft of overhang, you would need a 21 x 15 foot liner. Home Depot sells it for $10.30 a foot X 21 feet. that comes to $216.30.

Reaction score
HI ALL CAN ANYONE TALK ME THROUGHT THE STAGES OF INSTALLING A POND LINER OR THE BEST WAYS TO DO IT PICS WOULD BE A REAL HELP WHEN I DONE MINE I ENDED UP WITH THIS KNOW MY LITTLE FISH KEEP HIDING ?

100_0845.jpg

DARREN

Reaction score
That does just look like a plastic sheet. That will start to break down from the sun. J

You will almost always end up with creases and wrinkles, no real way to avoid it. After a while you really won't notice it.

Your fish will hide until they get use to their new home. I'd never see my koi, except at night. Now they are out all the time. They have probably been in there for a 1 - 2 months. Then when anyone would approach the pond they would swim away, but now they can't get to you fast enough, waiting to get fed.

With our old pond, the koi and goldfish would go after anything that came close. We had a duck, and they would go after the duck, was pretty funny to watch.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
This is less than half the thickness of the recommended Pond Liners most use. I'm not much on metric but mine is a EPDM liner and measures .055" thick. .5mm is less than .020" thick.

That extra thickness allows for a lot of abuse without a puncture. I never allow any rock near mine that have sharp edges. The first thing I noticed on yours is sharp rocks. If you ever have to go into your pond or just drop one it could make a hole. Find rocks that have been tumbled by a stream, they have nice rounded corners.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism and if others read this, learn from it. Ponds take a lot of work and time to get established, no one wants to have to re-do one after only a couple years.

Good luck with your pond.

Reaction score
45mil is the recommended thinnest pond liner. There is 45mil (.045 in = 1.143 mm), and 60mil (.060 in = 1.524 mm), I use the latter. It is very thick and will withstand a lot. You have the 20mil version .020 in - 0.508 mm.

With a thin liner you will need to worry about a lot things puncturing your liner, rocks, roots, animals. You can always put a thicker liner over the current one if a problem comes of the current one.

Here is some info on pondliners:

"PVC liner is usually 30 mil or less in thickness. It does not have much flexibility, causing it to be harder to install. It may become brittle with age, and is very difficult to re-use, should you desire to change the shape of your pond. A shorter life expectancy is common, and the usually textured surface makes it hard to repair.
EPDM liner has a standard density (or weight) of 45 mil. It is flexible and easy to join. Since the liner comes up to 50 feet wide, joining is at a minimum. The liner is easy to repair using the same seaming materials as patches, should it become torn. EPDM is long lasting, warranted for 20 yrs., and has a 50 yr. life expectancy."

I reused my 10 year old 60mil pond liner as the liner for my settling chamber. It wasn't as flexible as new stuff, but it was still manageable.

Ask a Question