Pond liners, the best one?

Larry Dinglo

My beautifil koi
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Any ideas on the best brand or style of pond liners? Want to get suggestions and feed back on your experiences. Thank you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a liner from Bend Tarp and liner in Oregon. It is some tough stuff, has survived deer hooves, dog claws, rocks falling on it. Me driving my tractor on it loading pea gravel into the bog.
I used ppl36

http://www.btlliners.com/liners/

It does not get as slippery as the epdm, I am able to walk in the pond without doing a butt fall all of the time, it does not tear as easily and it is lighter when installing.

This is the third pond I have used it in.

Reaction score
What ever brand you get make sure that you put it in with the label side down. The one I bought has a message that said "unroll in this direction" when you did you put the label side up. I complained to the company after I realized what I had done, but too late to correct it. There solution was that If I didn't like seeing the brand name every few feet to put tape over it. It has been a few years and the liner is now coated with stuff so it's not an issue. But if I had know I never would have installed it that way.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine had no label. Just black both sides.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mine has some blue printing across a couple of places. Of course, that is facing up. :) I only got water in my pond in about August, so its still visible. I assume next year it will not be an issue.

Larry Dinglo

My beautifil koi
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok so I went through some research and here is what I got. I used a few DIY deals. Spray-Lining & Coatings worked well through their cartridge system but it was more expensive that via basic gun. Qwik Liner, like Rhino Pro are cartridge deals but SLC was equal for about half their cost.
Rhino Linings or Line-X dealers were over $3600, and “dealers” don’t sell DIY’s. I tried Als on a truck bed once fair / soft but less qty at higher $$ than Scorpion who makes Als, dries in 36+ hrs.I tried SPI’s bedliner DIY too but it wasn’t too strong- I removed it easily. The SLC manual mix is definitely lowest cost of em all with what appears to a fair gun.
I now learned from this professional polyurea pond guy who quoted price to redo my ex-wife’s (aluminum) Koi Pond. He said he’s a certified Spray-Lining & Coatings applicator. Supposedly gets $18/sq ft. The polyurea he showed me was almost the same. So I got this DIY polyurea pond coating kit from Spray-Lining & Coatings. Hopper gun is a Graco.
Much less than Cartridge deal I returned, they loaned me that. Getting it soon, should be similar to pond polyurea with hopper. Koi ponds are rarely aluminum. So I just joined- if anyone else coated aluminum with Spray-Lining & Coatings polyurea through a Graco hopper deal, advise if you can. Thanks Entirely.

Larry Dinglo

My beautifil koi
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Was trying to get an idea and share my experience so far. Planning on putting in another pond in the garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use a liner from Bend Tarp and liner in Oregon. It is some tough stuff, has survived deer hooves, dog claws, rocks falling on it. Me driving my tractor on it loading pea gravel into the bog.
I used ppl36

http://www.btlliners.com/liners/

It does not get as slippery as the epdm, I am able to walk in the pond without doing a butt fall all of the time, it does not tear as easily and it is lighter when installing.

This is the third pond I have used it in.
@addy1 I know this is old but I checked on the site and I cannot find ppl - 36, unless that is the thickness? thanks :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They call it something else now. BTL give them a call, tell them what kind of pond you are building the type of land etc and they will recommend what will work best for you.

When I was building I told them my pond hole was nothing but layered rocks, shale and quartz, they told me to use the ppl36. I much prefer it over EPDM I can walk on it with out feeling like I am walking on ice. A less slippery than epdm.

Ask a Question