Pond Liners

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Another question; the red markup in the picture is lower than the high side by at least 12-16”. I’m trying to build up that side with dirt, but of course it keeps washing out with the rain and gravity. And I’m afraid once I place the liner, the dirt could start slipping under the liner. Is there a better solution? Rock, block, or a wood fence?

If you can increase the width of your berm, you can make it taller w/o it washing out. Otherwise, you’ll need to retain the berm w/ some sort of wall—landscape block or boulders will work great. Definitely not a wood fence.

And once your pond is full of water, you won’t have to worry about dirt falling between the liner and the excavation.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I agree w/ @combatwombat Water is very heavy and strong and will press up against that liner to hold it in place if you can get it to stay there while you put it in there. The more the walls slant too the less they might collapse.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree w/ @combatwombat Water is very heavy and strong and will press up against that liner to hold it in place if you can get it to stay there while you put it in there. The more the walls slant too the less they might collapse.
What are your thoughts on styrofoam blocks to build the berm?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What are your thoughts on styrofoam blocks to build the berm?
Hey I think most anything under the liner that will stay stable will work and I think the foam will work. I've never tried it but not sure it would go wrong. Maybe others here will chime in w/more ideas.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey I think most anything under the liner that will stay stable will work and I think the foam will work. I've never tried it but not sure it would go wrong. Maybe others here will chime in w/more ideas.
That’s what I was thinking, and it’ll be easy to work with while not washing out. And, no sharp edges.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That thick foam board sold for insulation is some tough stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes, the blue or pink solid foam insulation they use in construction should be good. You can shape it with a utility knife if need be.

Funny story...
I was working in Manhattan renovating some rich guy's apartment in a building on the 20th floor right on 5th Ave across from Central Park.
A carpenter told me "watch this". He took a piece of that blue solid foam and carved a plane. A fuselage and wings. Put it all together and reached into his apron for a nail which he stuck into the nose of the plane for that perfect balance. This thing had a wingspan of about 3 feet. He made it in minutes. Then he through it out the window and it flew out over Central Park. It was hilarious!

Reaction score
Country
United States
They actually make structural foam fill for big, municipal projects these days. Not sure how similar it is to styrofoam, though.
I picked this up for $1/block. I think it’ll work. I can shape it with flame or knife. 15”x12”

Attachments

• D5AED1C2-5753-483A-8ABC-27D721AB3E41.jpeg
    D5AED1C2-5753-483A-8ABC-27D721AB3E41.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No styro will not hold back a foot of water. unless you can fill them full of dirt and even then its not a guarantee of containment for years

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They actually make structural foam fill for big, municipal projects these days. Not sure how similar it is to styrofoam, though.
its not the density that's the problem its lacking of weight and structural integrity. pile the dirt on a dry day compact it properly then cover it from rains

Reaction score
Country
United States
its not the density that's the problem its lacking of weight and structural integrity. pile the dirt on a dry day compact it properly then cover it from rains
I may end up doing that or bags of sand, but I’m going to try the blocks, but with a back support of dirt, plants and gravel, so it doesn’t slide back (if that makes sense)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
If you can increase the width of your berm, you can make it taller w/o it washing out. Otherwise, you’ll need to retain the berm w/ some sort of wall—landscape block or boulders will work great. Definitely not a wood fence.

And once your pond is full of water, you won’t have to worry about dirt falling between the liner and the excavation.
Why not wood?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is where I ended up. I had a friend come over today to help with the underlayment and the liner. It’ll have to remain as is until I can work on it again on Tuesday.

Attachments

• 8EBD9EEA-3EF4-4DEA-8059-52084CE7A387.jpeg
    8EBD9EEA-3EF4-4DEA-8059-52084CE7A387.jpeg
    347.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 2A61744D-83E8-4E5A-9FCD-93FB6B44FE8C.jpeg
    2A61744D-83E8-4E5A-9FCD-93FB6B44FE8C.jpeg
    293 KB · Views: 14

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This is where I ended up. I had a friend come over today to help with the underlayment and the liner. It’ll have to remain as is until I can work on it again on Tuesday.
You are making progress!
1648400568370.gif

Ask a Question