Pond Loachs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I live in Portland Oregon, and I'm having trouble finding pond loachs to keep my gambosia tank clean. I keep the tank in an un-heated garage so they have to be hardy. I raise the gambosia to feed my ducks. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Dojo loaches is the way to go. Pretty, gold, interesting personality.

Don't get weather loaches, those are very hard to see in a pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Gambosia Granny How cold does it get there? I think that their temp range is something like 50 - 80 degrees. Have you looked at online places to order them?

@Faebinder Weather loach, dojo loach, pond loach -- all the same thing. But they do come in different colors.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
@Faebinder Weather loach, dojo loach, pond loach -- all the same thing. But they do come in different colors.

Yes the same species but most will refer to the speckled larger versions as "weather loaches". The golden non-speckled ones are referred to as "dojo loaches". Don't get the speckled versions, get the golden ones. My experience and from reading online, the weather ones end up being slightly larger in size, although my golds are not far behind my speckled ones.

I almost never see my weather loaches... but my dojos sit lazily at the bottom of the pond and between the plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hey I was changing the pond water tonight and as I was refilling the water through the skimmer I was about to shut the water refilling it and look what 7" fish did I spot in the skimmer basket...

It's one of the two weather ones I got....I hardly ever see them unlike my gold dojos.

Attachments

• IMG_6993.JPG
    IMG_6993.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 282

Ask a Question