Pond located in full Sun

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning my first pond, it is a 140 gal preformed liner. The current location that I have planned for it is in full sun. I read somewhere that too much sun will cause the water to be green due to algae. is this true?

I am not planning to keep any fish in this pond as the depth of the pond is only 18 inches (and we do have freezes in TX), just a few plants. Can I use chemicals to keep the algae levels down? at the same time I do not want to use anything that is too harsh as my kids may touch the water in the pond.

The other location I have is under trees that drop their leaves in fall and in full shade. Which option should I go with, Sun or Shade? or should I just make it a pondless waterfall?

thanks,
xman

Reaction score
yes this is true...it currently happened to my pond...floating plants will solve this problem...lilies and water lettuce are good choices...you could use a black food coloring...to tint the water...if you want to have plants i would do the sunny location

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
It took some time for me to decide where to locate my in ground pond in the back yard where we could enjoy it. First off, I have a sewer line, a gas line , and a water line that run through areas in the back yard that really limited my options. We installed a hot tub last May of 2008, and that limited my options for the pond location even more.

When I finally came to conclusion as to where the pond should be, it still wasn't quite where I wanted it. All in all, it is outside our master bedroon window where I can see from indoors in the winter months. This location provides direct sunlight (when the sun is out), early morning to about three in the afternoon in the summer.

Last year, the above tub I had received about the same amount of sunlight, and I didn't have any trouble with algee. The tub had a water lilly that covered most of the surface of the water. I also had six large live bearing trap door snails that helped keep the algee growth down to a minimum. The trap door snails are now residing in the in ground pond, and really keeping things clean.

I hope this helps,

Ask a Question