pond location.... shady?

Reaction score
Hi everyone:
I am wanting to install a 133 gallon pre-formed pond and have 2 spots for it. The prefered one will only get afternoon sun (3-4 hours) and the second will get 6+ hours of morning sun.
I want to have a few fish and grow some plants(lillies ect.) and want your best guess if the first location can accomodate the needs for a sucessful pond.
I can use the second but it sits up against a walkway(4 ft. high) and might be harder to see it.

I appreciate this opportunity to ask you all on this subject....Thanks. :razz:

wooldog55

PS.. what filter/pump/uv sterilizer system would work best to keep this pond in great shape ( location 1 or 2 ) Do you need all 3?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
actually the perfect one will give you less chance of algae growing .Why not just get a small liner ,it is much easier and does not need releveled every spring .Then you will not need uv and I would not by it ,Never owned one myself .Make your own filter ,look on here or check out you tube ..Pump is the easy part get it local any problems you can return it .All you should need is a smaller one and you could get one 300 gph up to 500 gph ,more gph more water movement .I had a 210 one for a 150 gallon stock tank it was alright but need bigger and just happen to have gotten a free one and it was 250 gph and

I used this since I got it so cheap

I also bought this

the 2 together with the in pond filter was enough ,no fish just plants

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
I have a pond which got about three hours of sun a day until we cut down a tree this year. Now it gets about 6 hours of sun. There are some differences.. now the fish hide more under the lily pads, but the plants around the pond flower more. There is only slightly more algae, nothing I can't manage.

Can I suggest you go with a larger pond? 133 gallons is pretty small. I'd try to up it to at least 500 if at all possible, especially if you want fish.. larger ponds are much easier to maintain - natural algae, chemistry cycles balance out more easily -- and you can probably have a few fish.
Joanie

Ask a Question