Pond Master or Laguna pump and what size?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My Pondmaster 950 is on it's last legs. My pond is 1670 gallons. I have two pumps in my Savio skimmer and there isn't much room .

My 950 goes to my filter, so thought about a bigger pump to turn water over faster, but the PondMaster 1250 is twice the size of the 950, so it won't fit inside the skimmer. I also have a Pond Master 3000 that feeds the waterfall and it's in the skimmer too.

Thinking of the Laguna...never had one, but I know several folks here really like them.

Fosters and Smith has them on sale....any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! Kim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think this is too strong a pump for my set up. Thank you for the offer....maybe another ponder can use it:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the laguna pump and love it the 2900 gph pump .I would love another one but my budget is dead right now .The new heat pump and now my pressure tank for my well is not working right .It has pressure but no water is going into it .I am using my well pump every time I use water .Not good for the pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
When this pond was built, we discovered the pumps would suck air if they were both in the skimmer, so the 3000 one was moved in the pond. I was happy when I could move them both to the skimmer this fall for two reasons: 1) Aesthetics 2) Water gores through filter material in the skimmer before it hits the pump pre-filters, keeping them cleaner.

The laguana uses almost half the energy of the Pond Master, so liking that!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found out that lagunas have a sweet spot for electric and mine said it used 112 watts but it hit at 103 and then when i added the new hose it went down to 95 watts .So I am happy ,plus the 4 year warranty helped.I guess the least resistance the less electric it uses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Ended up buying another Pondmaster and the local fish hatchery matched Foster and Smith's pricing. I upgraded to a 1200 from a 950, and we reduced four 90 degree turns to 2. We're also planning on moving the filter closer to the pump. I'm amazed at the difference already, it's pulling so much more water through the filter and uv:)

The fish hatchery was so nice and offered to order in a laguna to try, but my pump died and I didn't want to wait, plus I knew while a tight fit, both pumps would fit in my skimmer.

Feeling pretty good about maximizing the equipment I have for a better result!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is really down to watts used and how much your power bill goes up ,plus laguna has a 4 year warranty.Another good reason to always use 2 pumps when burns out you don't panic .I got mine from webbs in 3 days .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh Sissy, you are so right about the power usage. I couldn't get over how the Laguna uses almost half what the Pond Master does. Of course, in my usually fashion, I "study" things to death and my current pump died and I did what was fastest.

I look forward to trying a Laguna in the future - and that is good to know about the warranty!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I do the same research things until I can get all the info I need .I researched for a whole month on my heat pump .We had traditional heating cooling in NJ and heat pumps were new to me 10 years ago but now have learned so much I am amazed .That's why I picked lennox over carrier and trane .Carrier makes great air conditioners but there heat pumps not so great and trane the indoor unit is plastic type stuff .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have two Laguna pumps and am very happy with them and they keep our electricity bills down which makes my wife happy.. Even when one of them froze up in the winter it started right back up in the spring.The last one I bought from azponds. Their prices are really good if you need to get one in the future. I like to have two going. One for my filter and one for my waterfall. Also if the filter one goes out I always have a backup. Re heat pumps. Amana made the first ones. The Amanas in Iowa invented all sorts of cool things and formed the Amana company to sell them.

Ask a Question