Pond Mini Vac Simple Question

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a poor college student and have to care for pond i set up in my backyard like 8 years or so, im sick of draining it, scrubbing it and filling it up, so i saw that pond mini-vac at a pool place for like 20$, and at the top of it it just puts junk through a sock, what i want to know is, since the top of that looks like i can fit a pool cleaning hose. Would the hose pressure pump water through the pool hose at out of my pond? I dont feel like wasting my money and finding out that it doesnt work like that. All i would do is take the bag off, and put a long hose on the end of it.

Reaction score
if you took the bag off and attached a hose to the output you would basically just have water powered pump. if your talking about the vac I'm thinking of. it would drain your pond. the sock is there to filter out all the crud you suck up and return that water to the pond. that way you wouldn't have to keep filling the pond. you have more problems than that though i think. if you have to drain the pond and scrub it you don't have a filter that works. how many GPH does your pump, pump? with your 500GL pond it would need to be 500-1000GPH. what kind of filter do you have on the pond now? you should not ever have to drain your pond. more people don't. just net out everything from the bottom a couple times a year.

Reaction score
If you are getting the vac I think u are, get it I have used it on my pong to suck the junk off the bottom just leave the sock on as this will collect the junk. When finished just empty the sock. One word of caution make sure ur pond is a quarter empty as you will be adding water into the pond when u use this vac

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
The problem with pool vacs the cant catch the fines theyre meant for leaves and larger debris. and do mincrease water volume in your pond so youll have to dechlorinate also if you spend any amount of time using it.

Reaction score
I'd go with a wetvac or shop vac.

I've used the hose they pond vacs, they are nice, but the fine bags clog up fast or the opening gets clogged with leaves, so I bought one for leaves also. For the smaller one I just used pantyhose cut. Worked well, of course the water was all merky for a few days after.

Hooking a hose up to it ... didn't work for me.

With my new pond I put in a bottom drain that goes to a settling chamber, so I just get the crud towards the drain and its gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm with you. The fines will go through the bag and make your water cloudy, especially worms.
kirscp said:
I'd go with a wetvac or shop vac.

I've used the hose they pond vacs, they are nice, but the fine bags clog up fast or the opening gets clogged with leaves, so I bought one for leaves also. For the smaller one I just used pantyhose cut. Worked well, of course the water was all merky for a few days after.

Hooking a hose up to it ... didn't work for me.

With my new pond I put in a bottom drain that goes to a settling chamber, so I just get the crud towards the drain and its gone.

Reaction score
Lol, this is a small 400-500 gallons pond if that, it has like 6 fish a few lilypads and some bog plants on the one end, i honestly couldnt tell you what gph the pump is, but i do know that the size of the filter and the pump is perfectly fine for the pond, and this very light bioload. im draining it to clean it and scrub it out like i do every spring, im just late on doing it this spring because ive been away from home, and i also need to dig around the liner because some areas have sunk since its like 8 years old. and im redoing the waterfall into a completely new design, im not exactly new to ponds, i just had a question about that mini vac, and i didnt want to waste the 20$ to find out it wont suck water out if i put a hose on it

and my pond pump and filter was for a 1000 gallon pond,

Also thank you KIRSCP thats all i needed to know was if it worked if you put a hose on it

Ask a Question