Pond Mist-er Current? Bio Bog...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello again, I have a single Head Ceramic Pond Mister under my Water Fall going into the pond from the Fountain, when I was setting it in place while it was on, if my hand got about 1'' or closer to it it would numb my fingers for a second, telling me there was some kind of current leaking out from it, so my question is: Will it Hurt the Fish? It does not hurt me, but I'm not a 5'' goldfish either lol. I have seen them swim up to it and does not seem to bother them but wanted to ask you all for clarity.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3243]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3245]
I also want to know if the Bottom pool of the Fountain would be a good Bio filter to fill up with Lava Rock, Its 4'' deep before the water is rushed into the pond below and Is powered by 2 - 500gph Mag Drive Pumps (One for the Top and one for two outlet sides of the Fountain). Or would it be better to fill with pea gravel and plant 2 types of plants and act as a bog instead? Thanks for the help :)
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3244]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I like it a lot, It adds a nice "Asian" look to the pond and surrounding area, when the air is just right it puts out a lot more mist and it goes with the bamboo on the edge of the pond lol. I only paid $7 on ebay about a year ago and it came with 2 replaceable ceramic disc when the others go out and with a 50,000 hour lifespan of each disc, I won't be replacing it for awhile as I only turn it on when I want to or have company over ;)

Once you go to 2 or more Disc on the bigger misters (Recommended for Ponds) they can get pretty pricey, even the same brand I bought for a 3 head mister they run over $100 fast even on E-bay :confused:

Reaction score
Is the mister submerged IN the pond? If it is, it's shocking your fish :( I had a pump do that once and bought a different one. I wouldn't think any kind of current would be good for your fish. Especially over a long period of time.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Jason if you have not already done so please hook everything electric in your pond to a GFI equipped outlet. It may save a life.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 of these, one is the small one disc one and the other is the larger 5 disc. I have had no problems with either one. However, I just got a pond aireator that has led lights on it and now my koi won't come anywhere near it. Thinking I'm going to check to see if there might be a small voltage leak.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No FishyLove, It floats on the surface and the Disc is about 1" submerged and sits in it's own "Floating Ring", I had it in the small 250gallon pond a year ago with no problems and they state they are "Fish Safe" and I have not seen otherwise that they are not, I touched it again last night and it is the Black Conductor that raises up from the Chrome housing is what gives off a current and that particular part is not submerged so I thing it should be fine.

Howard, I have a 6 Outlet Digital Timer that everything from the Pond is plugged into, Pumps, Filter, Lights, Mister, etc. that is Plugged directly into a Outdoor GFI on the back side of the Fence (Right beside the Pond).

Mrsclem, How is the 5 head Mister? Does it put a lot of mist out?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Jason, I have the same boxes you have also plugged into GFI. Had mine trip the other day as the lid of one of the boxes wasn't closed all the way and rain got in. I got the large mister at Ollies for $39, they said it lists for $79. I love it! It really lights up bright at night and puts out enough mist to cover 1/4 of my11x13 pond. I do have it on a 4 hour timer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thats a deal! what is "Ollies"? I had mine do the same during all the rain we got, but it's dried out now, we got 13" of rain in less then a week, it was BAD!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Ollies is a discount store. They sell surplus from other stores. They have had a lot of pond supplies for sale. Got 10x15 liner for $19. Still need to check the new aerator for a possible voltage leak. Unplugged at this time.
BTW- nice pond! are your waterfalls lighted?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks, I love the Gator Statue in yours and all the Lilies!
Thats very cool, do they have an online store or just local? Yes the Falls are lighted, I used 24 Led 9" Water Proof Strips I found on E-Bay for $5 Free shipping a piece and the 6 light strand in the pond was only $42 Free Shipping from E-bay as well! Thats VERY cheap for that size Liner, Is it 20 mil or 45? :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Ollies is a local store. The liner is 45mil and has a blue-grey rock pattern on it.
Wish my lilies still looked like that. Once my koi spawned this year they turned into water lily piranahs! One pull a flower down and the others attack.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Jason; Don't those foggers generate a very rapid vibration? Could that be what you are feeling?
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Haro, that could be it! Like to toys where you hold the button and it feels like it's shocking you but rather just vibrating rapidly! Did not think of that, oh man I have to look this up now and make myself look stupid lol :confused:

Ask a Question