Pond modification

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I got a quote to have my pond deepened to deter raccoons. I have 1 1/2 year and one year babies. Over the two winters I've had them, they stay active unlike previous raccoon bait that hibernated under cover all winter and I first saw them in summer. I'm in zone 7 with nights in the 20s and daytime temps occasionally in the 40s, usually the 50s, sometimes 60s. Water temp is 45. The pond 'expert' said they will remove the fish in winter to my 100 gallon stock tank. Can this be done in the winter or should I wait until summer? If summer, what is the minimum water temp so the fish aren't shocked? What are the problems with a winter move? Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fish in winter as temps drop get very slow and dopey. Catching them is much easier, and so long as temps are similar they will be fine. The issue is your basicly starting over and you'll need to go through cycling again

Ask a Question