Pond modifications costing $$

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Had some people look at my pond to make it 1 foot deeper and add a skimmer and a constant drip.... Got a quote for nearly $5000.

I like my fish but to be honest I don't feel right about spending that much on the pond. I never heard of a property being more valued due to a pond.

Thoughts?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
For your part of the country that quote seems about right considering what will be involved.

A pond usually only adds value to property if one is talking a large pond on acreage.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would agree with that assessment - making a pond deeper requires breaking it down, pulling out the liner, digging it out, removing the dirt, probably a new liner, purchasing and plumbing in the skimmer, then putting it all back together. In fact, now that I've laid it all out, it sounds like they gave you a great price!

As for adding value, so much depends on the area, how the pond is built, the whole landscape package and, most of all, if the potential buyer even WANTS a pond.

Reaction score
Got some pics and specs on the pond the way it is now?
Adding a constant drip might cost $100. Adding a skimmer maybe $500+. Making the pond 1 ft deeper could easily cost $4,400, but it really depends on the size and layout of the existing pond. If there is enough extra liner around the edges you might be able to just build the berm up and use the existing liner. Assuming it is a liner pond? Lots of variables.
I like ponds, but by far the majority of backyard ponds I've seen I wouldn't give a nickle for.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Got some pics and specs on the pond the way it is now?
Adding a constant drip might cost $100. Adding a skimmer maybe $500+. Making the pond 1 ft deeper could easily cost $4,400, but it really depends on the size and layout of the existing pond. If there is enough extra liner around the edges you might be able to just build the berm up and use the existing liner. Assuming it is a liner pond? Lots of variables.
I like ponds, but by far the majority of backyard ponds I've seen I wouldn't give a nickle for.

My bad lemme see if I can upload some.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 260

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Liner with undelayment and a skimmer box with plumbing costs wouldn't exceed 1000.00 for materials. Garden Pond would actually be a minus to property value for most. 5000 dollars,I'm half tempted to say I'd do it for half that,with just a shovel!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Liner with undelayment and a skimmer box with plumbing costs wouldn't exceed 1000.00 for materials. Garden Pond would actually be a minus to property value for most. 5000 dollars,I'm half tempted to say I'd do it for half that,with just a shovel!

Feel free to come check it out and I'll be happy to hire you for half.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
The half of me thats tempted is outgunned by "the better half" of me that would kill me . The existing pond looks to be on a nice level area and the soil in Hershey shouldn't take be too rocky . If you are physically able at all I can tell your it's not a difficult job at all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
The half of me thats tempted is outgunned by "the better half" of me that would kill me . The existing pond looks to be on a nice level area and the soil in Hershey shouldn't take be too rocky . If you are physically able at all I can tell your it's not a difficult job at all.

Well thanks for the offer. Time is a big factor for me. I am still likely to hire them.. I just have to crunch overtime to save up for this.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Since the pond will be a foot deeper, you will probably need a larger pump to move more water. Did the price they quoted include a new pump? New PVC flex pipe? New connections? Check valve? More stone? (stone can amazingly be quite expensive) new liner? underlayment? Depending what all is included in the cost of $5,000, it may not be unreasonable. I had around$1500 in material (not including stone) 13 years ago.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well thanks for the offer. Time is a big factor for me. I am still likely to hire them.. I just have to crunch overtime to save up for this.
I'm sorry that seemed like an offer! It was more of a tongue in cheek jest. 10 yrs ago with a better back I'd have happily done that job for that money.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Business insurance runs about $1300 per year just for liability coverage. Commercial vehicle insurance is higher than that of regular vehicle insurance. Trailers and equipment require capital outlay and insurance. Laborers are required to be insured. Taxes need to be collected, accounted and remitted. Equipment needs to be serviced and replaced. Vehicles and gas tools run on fuel or a fuel/oil mix. Vehicles travel miles.

It's strange that people don't think twice about spending that on a roof, or on a leaky basement, or on a window replacement project, or putting a new liner or filter in their swimming pool..................

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Since the pond will be a foot deeper, you will probably need a larger pump to move more water. Did the price they quoted include a new pump? New PVC flex pipe? New connections? Check valve? More stone? (stone can amazingly be quite expensive) new liner? underlayment? Depending what all is included in the cost of $5,000, it may not be unreasonable. I had around$1500 in material (not including stone) 13 years ago.
Yes to all the above but I feel they overestimated my pond size they measured it stone outer end to stone outer end, which is an overestimation. My current pond pump is 960 gph and I estimate the pond to be 450 gallons they thought it was 780 gallons. They included the falls in their calculation which is just a tray pouring water on stones.

Ask a Question