Pond Net Experience

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I put a net over my pond right after I filled it as the local heron had already made two visits. After a whole year, I have not seen the heron even once. They still fly over occasionally as we have many lakes in the neighborhood and the Flint River close by. We even have a small pond that is a baseball through away from our house and pond. So, the net worked. Unforturnately the net now has two holes in it either from animals or just wearing out. I am now planning on replacing it with a new net by the same manufacturer (got it as a Christmas present) with hopes this one will last more than a year.

I added a picture of our pond. You can see the smaller hole in the net at the bottom right of the photo by the skimmer and light. Not sure whether an animal or bird made it or it just may have deteriortated from the weather and me getting into the skimmer. The larger hole is on the back side by the rain spout where I almost never bother the net.

I purchased the net from The Pond Guy. It was the Atlantic Pond and Garden Protector Net Kit. This is not a complaint, the net did its job and kept out all the leaves and critters and lasted an entire year. The original kit contained the poles, stakes and net for $100 and it seemed like a good investment since all of my fish spent the year safe from the predators. The replacement net was about $30.00. By the way my yard is fenced so the raccoons and other four legged critters do not get it.

Attachments

• Apr 2020 Pond 2.jpg
    Apr 2020 Pond 2.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 125

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A net only saves my fish and will never be w/o one again! Mine is getting old but I've had it for many years. I have been just fixing the holes so far. I did snag some fishing nets from a guy up the road who is a fisherman and they are still in good shape so I scored big on that one! Huge nets like the one I already have w/wide weave!
IMG_9379.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice pond! And nice net! If you can repair it, that would be great. But the replacement net is only $30...that's pretty much a no brainer.
you can order netting in any size shape configuration even with a opening like a door size of the netting etc from golf netting companIes I found the prices reasonable and they claim good for5 years

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
A net only saves my fish and will never be w/o one again! Mine is getting old but I've had it for many years. I have been just fixing the holes so far. I did snag some fishing nets from a guy up the road who is a fisherman and they are still in good shape so I scored big on that one! Huge nets like the one I already have w/wide weave!
View attachment 127544
What are your posts etc made of? I used 1/2” PVC and just had two fail during the last storm

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@MajorDan Those heavy duty green steel fence posts that you pound into the ground. They never move an inch! Not real pretty but they work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh they move when a big old man leans on them as he loses his balance while working on the pond when he should be relaxing .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Just off the phone with Floyd at Memphis Netting. I want to find out what type of netting you use @j.w and @addy1 . I have a fine mesh netting on currently , it is perfect for Fall as it traps small debris. However it's almost solid in apprearace and blocks the view of the pond.

I'm looking for mesh size information and what type of material you two ladies used. I'm wanting to hang it high enough to protect from heron, but allow me to lift it to go inside the pond area. I do not want to trap and injure wildlife, especially after creating the bog to attract it and planting so many native plantings to attract pollinators. Thank you !

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Tula this is the kind I bought: https://www.memphisnet.net/product/75/netting_multi_277
I had them coat it w/the latex black netting dip to keep it stronger longer. Just ask them about it. I bought it back in 2013 and it is starting to get some wear and tear but mostly it is the snow that if it tends to get heavy on it now it rips it. I have been able to mend it so far tho. We don't get much snow but you do, so rope weaved in the netting will help hold it up better. I have mine w/the rope running through it now which was quite a feat as I had the rope on a long pole trying to get it through all the squares from one side to the other w/the net on the pond but "I Did it"!
This is the rope I bought in 2013 and weaved it through the sides only, much easier than trying to run it crisscross across the middle areas: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...amond-Braid-Rope-14156/202048173#.UoLUyyeaa9Y I chose the darkest color but I don't see the same color now but the brown would prolly do or maybe they have other colors in other stores.

I had to sew two pieces of the netting together w/fishing line to make it fit over the sides of my pond.
I made a forum thread here on how I did it all: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/heron-netting-101.13205/
IMG_5316.JPG

You can see the ropes below kind of strung crosswise. You may need more rope if you don't keep the heavy snow off of it.

IMG_9393.JPG

IMG_9394.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thank you so much ! I had't thought about it needing some type of roping to attach it with. I have my pod covered with a pool solar cover in the winter, so it doesn't end to support the weight of snow. I just wan something that allows us to see the pond and keep the fish protected.

Sounds like it's time for another chat with Floyd :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Spoke with Floyd :) He says they no longer dip the nets in black. I sent him pictures of your set up and my pond. He's going to talk with their net maker and get back to me :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow that's a bummer as that really helps the net last longer. I saw on their site that they sell 5 gallon buckets of the stuff but it's over $80. and imagine what the shipping would be? If they won't do it maybe another walk in store like a building supply type might carry it in smaller amounts. Then you could do it yourself, maybe but it might be quite messy!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The coating on my net is all worn off now. It came all bright black and stinky but I laid it out on the driveway and let it air out awhile. I never washed it off and it did not hurt my fish hanging over the pond in the rain.

Part of the net is laid out on the driveway in this lower photo and the other part is still in the box. You have to kind of stretch it apart as it's kind of sticky. That long rope looking thing is the net, see what I mean about it needing to be pulled apart? Actually it did rain while I was working on this project so it did get washed off sorta.

IMG_5299.JPG

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Tula there is also west coast netting they make sports nets, wide weave ones too. Comes in black with some type of Uv resistant coating, I just got it from them last summer. Have it over my pond up about 7’ above the pond can’t even tell it is on there from a distance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know the golf netting company /sports netting had all differnt sizes from like a 4" to 1/2" wide weaves in black green and even white . the best part about these companies is they will also weave in the rope and if so desired they can even make a door in the netting for you to get in and out

Ask a Question