addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will need to replace mine in the next year. It is starting to break down in spots but has been up 24/7-365 since I got it.
Mine is never taken down, I pull it over if I am wading in the pond to work on the lilies. A lot of small spiders like to use the netting as homes. I don't care to have them falling on me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Floyd is sending me samples of two types of netting, the only difference being their width. @addy1 your net and the other sample I'm getting, both only come in 3 inch now....not the 4 inch , anymore. They're also sending me their catalog so I can look at roping to weave through it to hang it up.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
so I can look at roping to weave through it to hang it up.
Home depot lowes is where I got mine, way cheaper than what they were going to charge me for the rope.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can get the multi colored ones that blend in pretty well. Mine is slowly falling apart. It has been years.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used window screening on my pond because of frogs and birds ,just want to keep them from getting stuck in netting and suffering

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Never had a frog or a bird stuck in my netting but then it has very big net squares and I have it tight so regular sized birds and small ones can land on it fine and even go right through it. All it keeps out is bigger critters.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I drowned one little bird when I had some deer fencing over the pond. I yanked it that day and ordered the wide weave net. Now nothing gets stuck. But the heron is stopped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Ordered my netting today from Memphis Netting after the samples they sent arrived. They were so nice to deal with and they agreed to dip it in the latex black stuff.

Once it arrives we'll figure out how we want to hang it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ordered my netting today from Memphis Netting after the samples they sent arrived. They were so nice to deal with and they agreed to dip it in the latex black stuff.

Once it arrives we'll figure out how we want to hang it.

Good deal. I'm following, so please post some pics/specs when you get it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The net arrived last week, but we've been finishing up some other projects. Hubby is building these hoops over the pond, in hopes
IMG_3520.jpg
we can drape the netting over them.

Right now we have a ton of small debris dropping from trees, so it's kind of nice having the mesh net up, but I'm anxious to take it down and get the new net up and be able to better see the pond !

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Tula just keep in mind if you leave that up all winter the snow can get quite heavy I'm sure you know that and could collapse the poles. We hardly get much snow here but whenever we do I have to get out there and get that snow off the net as it starts to sag pretty quick like. My net is old too and it tends to rip the holes apart if I don't get out there soon. Mine is just held up by ropes tho. Might it be that the curved poles are stronger and can hold more snow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Tula just keep in mind if you leave that up all winter the snow can get quite heavy I'm sure you know that and could collapse the poles. We hardly get much snow here but whenever we do I have to get out there and get that snow off the net as it starts to sag pretty quick like. My net is old too and it tends to rip the holes apart if I don't get out there soon. Mine is just held up by ropes tho. Might it be that the curved poles are stronger and can hold more snow?
This structure is just for the net. In the winter we cover the pond with a pool solar cover and use 16 foot untreated boards to make a lean to. We had a mild winter this year, but we've also had big snow storms in the past and this wouldn't hold up to that. I know @callingcolleen1 achieves good support with her cattle panels, but our pond is too small to use them properly.

Ask a Question