Pond netting leaf removal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United Kingdom
Re-purposed our old Vax, ideal tool with a long reach and, much to my surprise, the vacuum filter didn't get clogged! Probably because the leaves were damp & heavy and fell into the base.
Beats a leaf blower hands down!
Wish I'd started using it years ago instead of either a plank of lugging all the pots off the edges to remove the fine fine netting (heron) & safety (grandchildren).

Attachments

• IMG-20201122-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20201122-WA0003.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 129
B

Burd

You vacuum up the leaves from the bottom of the pond?
I went out yesterday to clean out the leaves a d it was hard, so ma y was in there.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Re-purposed our old Vax, ideal tool with a long reach and, much to my surprise, the vacuum filter didn't get clogged! Probably because the leaves were damp & heavy and fell into the base.
Way to go! I don't get many leaves since the huge maple died and the apples were trimmed way back. There is no way I can do anti leaf netting, do have anti heron netting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I come up with solutions like this from time to time and then wonder "why did it take me so long to figure that out!" Good for you for lightening the load!

B

Burd

Clue? So why the vac with the net. Why get shitty.
your post doesn’t explain what you did very well. Gimme some more clues.
a d what is a vax

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United Kingdom
Clue? So why the vac with the net. Why get shitty.
your post doesn’t explain what you did very well. Gimme some more clues.
a d what is a vax
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, my comment was ment with a smile ;-)
The large netting is safety netting for the grandchildren, but the finer netting is to help prevent the local herons fishing but it also catches a lot of leaves come the autumn. I used to balance on a scaffold plank to clear them, but discovered that the VAX (a carpet cleaner) with it's extended pipe gives me the reach to suck 'em up. I guess a Henry vacuum would do the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't exactly get what you are doing.
I'm open to new ideas. Anything to cut down on maintenance. Please explain thoroughly.
Are you using a carpet cleaner to suck leaves off the net? Or maybe suck leaves out of the water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
I use the head of my shopvac to blow leaves off the lawn (5 large Garry Oaks). This gives me the idea to do the same off the overhead netting this fall.

Ask a Question