Pond netting question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It seems a bit simpler to let the pond collect every leaf that blows in a storm, when the supply of leaves that are going to drop from the trees quit, think about netting them out of the pond on a pleasant Winter day, bagging them as additional winter protection for tender plant positions.

Autumn leaves are very slow to decompose in water, plenty of time to bag them and use them...

Reaction score
That's true adavisus--I did it exactly that way the first year of my pond, but I'm talking a lot of leaves here at my house--dipped out 13 wheelbarrow loads the 1st time and 8 a month later. The trouble comes in with having to hand sift thru all the leaves once they are in the wheelbarrow each time to find any koi, goldfish, snails and albino catfish that may have been caught in the net with the leaves. No fun going thru that ice cold, black mucky mess by hand, but in Illinois when its that cold out that's where my fish are, in the bottom of the pond and those snails and silly catfish are nestled right in the middle of all those leaves. I like my net mucho better, LOL. good luck everybody, Tim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It seems a bit simpler to let the pond collect every leaf that blows in a storm, when the supply of leaves that are going to drop from the trees quit, think about netting them out of the pond on a pleasant Winter day, bagging them as additional winter protection for tender plant positions.

Autumn leaves are very slow to decompose in water, plenty of time to bag them and use them...
Do this and your just storing up trouble and also when you net them out creating trouble you dont know what you have in with the detritus at the bottom of the pond.
I'm talking about bacteria gram negative and gram positive they area swine to treat as you have to first asertain which is which.
This would involve sending off samples to be tested.
In the mean time your fish end up with things such as ulcers which you dont want either entering into winter or coming out of it.
We net our pond so that nothing can fall into it.
The bottom drain taking care of any detritus, passed by our koi .
Koi keepers here in the UK and most probaly in the US are seen to be rather active prior to winter, in that we are prepping our ponds and filters ready for the winter.
We are seen agan to be active, again in spring and once again in the middle of summer, this is on top of our normal water changes vortex cleans etc.
The result a very clean pond and filters giving your koi the best conditions necessary for them to enter into the winter, spring etc.
Leaving leaves in the pond is storing up problems you may not be able to get a handle on .

rgrds

Dave

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Just an update.

We netted the pond with a good quality net. Strung a rope from the deck to the fence, creating a "ridge-line" of sorts to lay the net over to raise it above the surface of the water about 3 feet. (It kind of looks like a tent.) Secured it around the perimeter with stakes. Looked good in theory, and even aesthetically, but here is the problem.

I was concerned about all our maple leaves falling in. In reality, what happened is that the maple leaves didn't come anywhere near the pond. However, all the neighboring elm trees from three different neighbors dump leaves every time the wind blows, and it seems like all those find their way to my pond. AND the net allows a bulk of them through. The weave is not small enough to keep them out. So now I have a netted pond with many leaves floating on the surface . . . which we all know will eventually sink. And guess what I'll be doing next spring? And we did remove the net once to skim off the surface of the pond, and in the process found a poor, dead, dehydrated frog. Evidently he was trying to get in the water and could not get through, then must've got cold and just died on top of the net. I was afraid that might happen when shortly after putting the net on, I found several frogs trying desperately to get in.

I am tempted to just remove the net altogether, and at least then I could go out occasionally and scoop leaves off the surface (until it freezes over). I do not own a pond vac, and I tried the shop vac thing late in the summer to see how it would work. It did NOT work for me. Whether it's because the pond is too deep or my shop vac is too wimpy, I don't know. It just didn't have enough suction to do much, and then I had to frequently be emptying it. AND, water and electricity just do not mix. Had I accidentally pulled that shop vac into the pond, which did almost happen a couple times, I might have been toast. So now I am left wondering how I am going to get the pond bottom clean next spring. I hate the thought of stirring it all up using a manual leaf net, but that might be what I have to do. I certainly am NOT going to drain 3,000 gallons of water to clean the pond out and lose a lot of my good bacteria.

Ho hum . . . what to do. I'll just leave it for now and think on it some more. I guess there must be different types of netting that are finer and would keep more stuff out, but this one came highly recommended and is not an el cheapo net. Feel like I wasted my money though.

Reaction score
Sandy, leaves get through mine as well and the netting is very fine. An acorn will not get thru. The wind just blows the leaves and the netting and they find a way in. The net should stop the bulk of them and then it's just a matter of every few days scooping the rest out with a net. This is my first fall so I will find out how my effort pays off in the spring. Good luck to you!!

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Cdsdave said:
Sandy, leaves get through mine as well and the netting is very fine. An acorn will not get thru. The wind just blows the leaves and the netting and they find a way in. The net should stop the bulk of them and then it's just a matter of every few days scooping the rest out with a net. This is my first fall so I will find out how my effort pays off in the spring. Good luck to you!!
Cdsdave said:
Thanks for the well wishes! Yep, we'll just have to see what happens. The pond is pretty big and a real hassle getting the net off and on. Takes too long to pull up the stakes and then re-stake it, especially when it's cold and windy like it is right now. Will most likely leave it be and deal with it in the spring. Hopefully it will keep the bulk of leaves and twigs out. Good luck to you too!

Ask a Question