POND NEWBIE HELP (Pumps, Filters, Skimmers)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi i recently decided to build my family a pond, at first i had no knoledge at all and just started didgging a hole, i diddnt know the costs of it all a quite what it took. we have deceided after learning all of this new information that we still want to go ahead with the pond but we do have a budget, we went a little too big but we have also decided to keep it like this, i am now seeking some advice and help of what pump, filter, skimmer and water fall sizes i will need as i ahve close to no idea, no matter how much research i do i am coming across so many different answers.

i have attached the plans for the pond and hope you guys can help me with this, i am close to clueless but am finding the whole process very entertaining and think i might be hooked, the pond will include a waterfall, plants and Koi.

thank you in advance for your help!

PS, we have already purchased a 16x20 pond liner from billboard tarps (15 Mil) but have been advised against it.
13082177_10209572156050550_1178182737_n.jpg
13084247_10209572155090526_713944018_n.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
go with laguna pumps for energy savings a uv i got off topdog sellar on ebay and was 30 dollars and came with 2 bulbs and save yourself the head ache make it one depth it is easier to keep clean .My second pond was 2 depths and the sludge on the bottom was hard to net .Plus depth is better for even temperature of the pond .I don't have a skimmer it was not needed and did not want the headache of one

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hello and welcome!

I do not have a UV or skimmer and other than netting debri from the surface here and there haven't missed either.

pondliner.com has the best prices I have seen on large liners and also pumps.

I agree with Sissy in that I'd go all one depth as its easier to net the gunk out of the bottom.

As far as a filter, it depends on what you plan on doing with the pond as to what type and how big of a filter you will need. If you plan on having just garden pond to welcome wildlife than you can get away with not much filtration if any. If you plan on having some comets then maybe a little more filtration. And if you want to have koi, a lot more filtration is needed.

You can make your own filter the "skippy"style fairly easy and cheep. You can find instructions on how to make your own at skippysstuff.com.

Hope that helps. Would love to hear what your plans are for the pond. It will definitely help with the advice you will get.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I do not have a UV or skimmer and other than netting debri from the surface here and there haven't missed either.

pondliner.com has the best prices I have seen on large liners and also pumps.

I agree with Sissy in that I'd go all one depth as its easier to net the gunk out of the bottom.

As far as a filter, it depends on what you plan on doing with the pond as to what type and how big of a filter you will need. If you plan on having just garden pond to welcome wildlife than you can get away with not much filtration if any. If you plan on having some comets then maybe a little more filtration. And if you want to have koi, a lot more filtration is needed.

You can make your own filter the "skippy"style fairly easy and cheep. You can find instructions on how to make your own at skippysstuff.com.

Hope that helps. Would love to hear what your plans are for the pond. It will definitely help with the advice you will get.

I would love to have a koi pond, I already ordered a liner that I think will be too small so I might have to downsize the pond by a few feet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a Savio skimmer and their UV light, that slips, directly into the skimmer. I'm glad I began my ponding with shubunkin and comets, as I learned quite a bit, before keeping koi. My koi have grown quite large, so keep that in mind, with the size and depth of your pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep koi get huge and are lots more work and sure wish someone had told me that 12 years ago .Fantails are also cute .Little fat butt wigglers and fun to watch and they can be slower to move and just as friendly as koi ,but don't get very big .But deeper is always better for the fish and if power goes out it is a little safer for them .Right now my pond is around 500 gallons .Filters are fun to build also .Like said look them up

Reaction score
If you go with a skimmer (I would recommend having one) then your pump will go into it and not on the bottom. The UV light will go inline between the skimmer and the waterfalls or filter.

Ask a Question