POND NEWBIE help with liner size!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi i decided to undergo making my family a garden pond, the thing is i underestimated both the cost and the work involved, i am trying to calculate how big of a pond liner i need, everywhere i have seen is recommending a liner of 20x25, the thing is that the pond we decided to create was an odd shape, it consists of 2 pools linked together with a stream/bridge type effect, i have attached a picture to show what we are going for, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

the dimensions are
Length: 16 foot 7 inches
Width: 12 foot
Depth: 2 Foot 9 Inches Max

Attachments

• 12596019_10209563524554768_1134282569_n.jpg
    12596019_10209563524554768_1134282569_n.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 278
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
That pond liner size sounds about right, maybe a bit on the small size if you're going to incorporate any features like a waterfall.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
always better to have a little extra unless you don't mind it a little smaller and since you mention cost I am guessing you have a budget in mind .I don't know where you live but your depth could be a problem if you are in a cold climate or hotter climate ,plus you did not mention fish Welcome

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome!
That pond liner size sounds about right, maybe a bit on the small size if you're going to incorporate any features like a waterfall.

Hi we ordered a 16x20 liner from billboard tarps and when it comes we are going to downsize the hole we have already dug!

Reaction score
Country
United States
always better to have a little extra unless you don't mind it a little smaller and since you mention cost I am guessing you have a budget in mind .I don't know where you live but your depth could be a problem if you are in a cold climate or hotter climate ,plus you did not mention fish Welcome

We ordered a 16x20 liner for a reasonable price, we are going to downsize based on the liner when it comes. We are in Massachusetts do you think we need to make it shallower? We do plan on having some fish and plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
In Massachusetts, a shallow pond could freeze solid, if too shallow....not good for fish :( BTW, did you order a 45 MIL liner, they are worth the extra $ in the long run, and an underlayment.

Give some thought to your filtration and water flow, given the narrow opening between the two ponds.

Welcome :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
need it deeper as the water may freeze really deep and a pond heater may be needed but biggest worry would be when power goes out

Reaction score
Country
United States
In Massachusetts, a shallow pond could freeze solid, if too shallow....not good for fish :( BTW, did you order a 45 MIL liner, they are worth the extra $ in the long run, and an underlayment.

Give some thought to your filtration and water flow, given the narrow opening between the two ponds.

Welcome :)

Hi, thank you for your reply, we actually bought a 15mil liner but we plan to use a ton of underpayment, do you have any suggestions on filtration and water flow?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think Haro has a 15 mil and they can last as long as not exposed but after 10 years I would look at replacing it then and by then you may want to upgrade anyways .;) .They can become brittle

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think Haro has a 15 mil and they can last as long as not exposed but after 10 years I would look at replacing it then and by then you may want to upgrade anyways .;) .They can become brittle

I did a quick search and could not find any reference to 15 mil pond liner. It is certainly not EPDM. I know that billboard tarps are 15 mil and I am not sure that they are even guaranteed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, thank you for your reply, we actually bought a 15mil liner but we plan to use a ton of underpayment, do you have any suggestions on filtration and water flow?
Do not put this "liner" in your pond. You will regret it. Please listen to this advice.

Ask a Question