Pond Newbie (it came with the house) looking for all kinds of advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Everyone!

I moved house last year and in the garden there is a beautiful pond. Its about 300cm x 230cm and about 60ish cm deep.
IMG_2472[1].JPG
IMG_2472[1].JPG Within the pond there are two fish (ones massive and ones no so big). I've got to grips with the filter cleaning and feeding. However, i feel the pond isn't big enough for the big fish and I have to keep topping the pond up with water so there must be a leak somewhere? There's also been a massive frog orgy recently and I'm worried about the state of the water. So my questions are as follows, sorry there are a few:unsure:

1. How easy is it to increase the size of the pond/repair a potential hole without detrimental effect to the fish?
2. Will sludge remover help to improve the state of the water? - there is a white precipitation and slight smell
3. I think i have Elodea Densa and lilly pads in the pond, do these need to be replaced each year? the Elodea looks a bit worse for wear (but not sure if its meant to look like that)

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I love having a pond, and Little and Large are part of the family now :). I have attached a picture of the pond
IMG_9574[1].JPG

Lesley

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1586819236651.gif
@LesCad

Looks like you have koi
How easy it is to make it bigger depends on how hard your soil is, how much you like digging and the cost for a new liner. You can do it but it is some work. If you just keep those two fish in there that size might be ok for just them. If you let the water level go down to where it stops going down you can feel and look around the sides of where the water stays and might find the leak. You can patch it but I have never done it so I will let someone else tell you how to do that one.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Like JW stated, let it drain down, see if you can find wetness outside of the pond, and or feel along where the water stops dropping to see if you can find a tear. They can be really hard to find.

I noticed food sitting on the surface, when you feed your fish, feed only as much as they will eat in a few minutes. The food will rot and cause water issues.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well at least you got a winner as you see some on the here that buy a house and find the pond terribly neglected .Good luck and nice pond you bought :)

Ask a Question