sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nice pond but that filter is way way to small Get yourself a stock tank and make a filter .You will have a clearer pond .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54076]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54044]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54042]

Reaction score
Beautiful pond and property. What are the pond dimensions and depth? What size and how many pumps? I am guessing a lot bigger than 1000 gallons, which means you are under filtered if fish is your goal. Speaking of which, what is your goal for this pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
It's really hard to put and exact number on the gallons this pond is because the waterfall end is 5ft. deep and then the bottom spirels upward to 3ft...I didn't know about water meters when we filled it.or I would have rented 1 .. 26' w x 30 ' L. WE guess it to be 1800 to 2000 gal. I currently have 7 koi living in it...as far as pumps go there is one running the waterfall/ skimmer loop. a aeration pump thats good for 10'ft deep, and one more smaller fountian pump that hasn't been placed in that goes in this weekend...
gardengimp said:
Beautiful pond and property. What are the pond dimensions and depth? What size and how many pumps? I am guessing a lot bigger than 1000 gallons, which means you are under filtered if fish is your goal. Speaking of which, what is your goal for this pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I happen to have a stock tank, had horses at one point, not anymore...
sissy said:
nice pond but that filter is way way to small Get yourself a stock tank and make a filter .You will have a clearer pond .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just clean it good with peroxide and water and buy tank adapters .I bought mine on pet mountain but you may be able to find them cheaper .I got the one I have plus 2 more for 20 dollars for all 3 .Got from craigslist

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
oneofakindcritter said:
Hi what am I doing wrong I've tried everything and can not get any picts to load on here..everything has a error
If you want to insert an image which is online, then you need the direct URL for that image (it will probably end in .jpg or similar). Click on the image icon when making your post (looks like a small polaroid of a tree) and copy and paste your link in :)

Reaction score
You could turn your stock tank into DIY skippy type filter or a DIY sand and gravel filter. You can google for both those. Do you know the GPH on the pump you have now? I think you may be a few decimal points off on your pond gallons base on 26 feet by 30 feet. More like 20000 to 25000 gallons. Generally, for koi you want a pumps to turn your water over at least once every two hours, better once per hour.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Becky said:
If you want to insert an image which is online, then you need the direct URL for that image (it will probably end in .jpg or similar). Click on the image icon when making your post (looks like a small polaroid of a tree) and copy and paste your link in :)
look for the one in photo bucket that say IMG codes when you click get links. The bottom one, copy that and paste in the thread, like Becky is saying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Thanks for all the info I'm in process of building a skippy filter, Now on to the next issue plants..heard of putting elephant ears in or near .. Can anyone explain the correct way to do this, as in start with bulb got it.. alocasia and jumbo elephant ears, specific not mentioned on lable ...now what ? I've heard so many things I'm confused do I plant them in dirt or clay or nothing.? do I submerg or not ? do I put them in baskets or pots ?//? Also Cannas and iris...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They can all be planted in kitty litter 100% clay kitty litter no additives .Addy started it and it works but I do rise them before I add them to the pond so the water does not get so cloudy ,but the cloudy water is supposed to buffer the water .You will have to take elephant ears in in the winter as in your temps. the bulb will freeze ,canna's the same way .I have them planted inside and out side my pond but I live in a warmer climate .They need to be planted even with the top of the water so you may need to put something in the pond to lift the pots up to the right height .I also have grasses in my pond and filter because they really clean the water plus they do not have to be taken in during the winter .Colleen from Canada told me .Grasses like lemon grass ,zebra grass are really pretty and lemon grass you can buy stalks at Asian markets and set it in water until it roots and the smell is fantastic .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I do have the kitty litter as I found out about that last year when repotting water lilys... So I'm good there.. But now at the risk of sounding really stupid...when you say rise them, this is where I want to make sure I get it right... Rise the pot so the bottom of it is at the water level or the top edge ? or are we talking a part of the bulb or tuber being at water level...I guess I'm kind of anal abuot doing things . And tend to 2nd guess myself...I truely apreciate your imput and patience...I aslo read a 2gallon pot is good I have 3 gallon with drain holes or I have baskets which work better ? in your opinion..Jumbo bulbs are aprox 4 in x 4 in...and Alocasia tuber type is 3x6 at least it looks kind of tuberish :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put my bulbs at just below water level ,They need some oxygen .I just wash the pots other plants come in and soak them good in peroxide and water to get any bacteria off them .Just use the 5 gallon ones because the bulbs get really big here fast .You could get away with 3 gallon .I even plant mine part above water because they just wick water up and the roots grow so fast here I have to trim them often .Even the grass roots have to be trimmed .Some of the roots after winter and I trimmed them in late fall
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53508]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53505]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53509]

Ask a Question