Pond newby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi from somerset, my pond has had a makeover finished putting a dry stone wall at one end and paving slabs on the surround edge,to hide the liner.
Made up a large basket of water lilies tried to position it and ended up tipping it over into the water,now I have aquatic sludge and pebbles on the bottom of the liner,can I leave it or do I have to empty the pond and start again,which means me and a bucket. I can't wait to introduce some goldfish to their new home but I will have to get some sort of netting as there is a heron in the neighbourhood and has anyone had problems with gulls?
I look forward to hearing your comments.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello and welcome ! I would not worry about the lily soil. Probably not enough that you will even notice it in a few weeks. Herons are a problem but never heard of gulls bothering pond fish.They may try to steal the food while you are feeding your fish!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1568661425631.gif
@Carosmit46
If you want you can take a long handled net w/screen on it fine enough to dip and lift out the crud. Don't empty your pond tho. If you've seen the heron then for sure get netting!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! I have dumped lily soil/clay quite often into the pond. I just leave it.

Herons, if there is one you need to net the pond. I use a wide weave net about 2-3 feet over the water so it can not strike, but the net does not stop frogs, birds etc from using the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome ! I would not worry about the lily soil. Probably not enough that you will even notice it in a few weeks. Herons are a problem but never heard of gulls bothering pond fish.They may try to steal the food while you are feeding your fish!
Thank you for all your comments,why I mentioned the gulls is a neighbour actually saw one take a goldfish from her pond. I have been looking at nets and also floating octagonal shapes that clip together would the latter be a problem for frogs .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been looking at nets and also floating octagonal shapes that clip together would the latter be a problem for frogs .

That is one reason I put up a wide weave net over the pond, around 2ish feet, over the water. The heron can't grab fish, the other critters can get out. @j.w used a similar net.
You can see it in this picture, I have had it over the pond around 5ish years. Just now wearing out a bit here and there.

The deer was snacking on the lily leaves.....................
deer7.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow fabulous pond,I love the deer you must see some amazing wildlife,when I get used to using the forum I will put a pic of my pond ,with hopefully some goldfish for starters and definitely a net.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The deer love the pond and our entire back area, their own personal snack bar. We have around 4 fawns running around so darn cute!
We do get fox, owls and all the "normal" critters, also turkeys.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been away for awhile,but have a net now,put four goldfish in and havnt seen them since,the water is quite murky I think I need more plants,the weather is against me cold wet and windy, but perseverance is the key. The only wildlife I have is a badger who thinks my front garden needs digging up it must be fabulous to watch the deer etc.

Ask a Question