Pond on top of bedrock?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've been reading on here for over a year and have learned a lot. Also have watched dozens of hours of YouTube videos. I know I really want a pond, feel like I know how to build it, and might be able to afford to make the jump by next spring, 2022. What I really have a problem with is location. My whole back yard slopes up hill, about 4 ft rise in 50 feet. That would be okay, I think, for a stream but the underlying problem, literally underlying, is my yard consists of about 8 to 12 inches of rocky clay dirt on top of limestone bedrock. I can't dig down more than a foot anywhere in this yard without hitting a solid layer of rock. And, I want about an 8 ft X 12 ft X 3 ft deep pond which should be roughly 2000 gallons. I know I could build a retaining wall or a rock reinforced berm and add a couple feet of dirt to get the depth needed, but then the pond is above the patio and the windows in the house. Won't be able to see it much. Anyone else on here built, or seen such a elevated pond?

I prefer a natural look, but the raised elevation might be better managed with a more formal style. Any way to mix these styles?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can have an elevated pond that still looks natural. I’m not the one to tell you how it’s done, I’ve seen many, many pics that look great. But there’s almost no way you can get away without some degree of a “retaining wall,” as long as you have a portion dug underground and a portion above ground. Post some pics of your yard from different angles, and include as much in the pics as possible…..as well as describe what we’re seeing. We can surely give you some constructive ideas!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been reading on here for over a year and have learned a lot. Also have watched dozens of hours of YouTube videos. I know I really want a pond, feel like I know how to build it, and might be able to afford to make the jump by next spring, 2022. What I really have a problem with is location. My whole back yard slopes up hill, about 4 ft rise in 50 feet. That would be okay, I think, for a stream but the underlying problem, literally underlying, is my yard consists of about 8 to 12 inches of rocky clay dirt on top of limestone bedrock. I can't dig down more than a foot anywhere in this yard without hitting a solid layer of rock. And, I want about an 8 ft X 12 ft X 3 ft deep pond which should be roughly 2000 gallons. I know I could build a retaining wall or a rock reinforced berm and add a couple feet of dirt to get the depth needed, but then the pond is above the patio and the windows in the house. Won't be able to see it much. Anyone else on here built, or seen such a elevated pond?

I prefer a natural look, but the raised elevation might be better managed with a more formal style. Any way to mix these styles?
use the dirt you dig out to help create the downside berm. Might be better to rent some equiptment to get you into the bedrock. Still, I'd design with pondside enjoyment in mind and not necessarily window view.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if you watch some of my earlier videos i have a small pond above the main pond by small it's like 17' x 6' x 24" deep it is maybe a half a foot lower then your talking . the issue you would have is more the 24" PLUS the edging this is where you'll loose the view . so my suggestion would be like in a pool to build a negative edge the entire length of the pond where you will be looking from this can not only work it could look incredibly cool. you can make a couple areas lower then others creating more focused water falls but still have the water right up to the edge. I DON T have a lot of the upper pond showing but picture from the falls back can all be seen. so picture water coming over the edge dropping in a waterfall into gravel at the base . score this could be amazing. turn a negative to a positive
POND 4 (1 of 1).jpg
POND (1 of 1).jpg

Attachments

• POND 5 (1 of 1).jpg
    POND 5 (1 of 1).jpg
    308 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
Country
United States

Did you start your project? How did you manage the bedrock situation?

Ask a Question