Pond options...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm about to start digging a new bog for my one year old pond. I'm interested in design considerations from you lot.

1.) Bogs tend to be only 12" deep. Are there pros/cons to making it deeper? I'm only asking because I'm not limited and could dig any depth.

2.) I'll be splitting the waterflow to both the bog and to a waterfall. Can anyone recommend a good brand/model of PVC junction with a two way valve which would let me control how much water makes it to the bog and how much to the waterfall?

3.) My max output is 5,800 gph, pond is around 6,000 gal. What's the ideal flow rate to the bog?

Specs: 6,000 gal rock-lined pond. Minimal fish load, goldfish only.

Thanks everyone!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm about to start digging a new bog for my one year old pond. I'm interested in design considerations from you lot.

1.) Bogs tend to be only 12" deep. Are there pros/cons to making it deeper? I'm only asking because I'm not limited and could dig any depth.

2.) I'll be splitting the waterflow to both the bog and to a waterfall. Can anyone recommend a good brand/model of PVC junction with a two way valve which would let me control how much water makes it to the bog and how much to the waterfall?

3.) My max output is 5,800 gph, pond is around 6,000 gal. What's the ideal flow rate to the bog?

Specs: 6,000 gal rock-lined pond. Minimal fish load, goldfish only.

Thanks everyone!

1) "Bogs" when constructed by professional contractors are normally 18" deep. This allows for unrestricted root growth of the deepest rooting aquatic plants

2) A 'wye' and single ball valve is all that is needed to control/adjust the water flow.

3) The ideal suggested flow to a planted 'bog' is as low of a flow rate as you can tolerate. The greater the resident time of the water the more efficiently will the 'bog' perform.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our bog is four feet deep. But it holds a pump vault, 2 aquablox, and centipede and the bottom is filled with softball sized boulders.

Ask a Question