Pond over Pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a kidney shaped sunken pond at present, 5.1 m x 2.1m about 500mm deep. What I'm thinking about doing is building over the top - raise the sides up about 1.2m. Sleepers are so expensive now days and the amount I would require would put this way of building the raised part well out of my price range. about 36 sleepers. £1100

What I was wondering is, if I were to build a box section frame and line the frame with 18mm ply, what size timber should I go for for the box section considering the volume of water above ground would be in the region of 2800 gallons and, would a box section frame actually be strong enough to hold that amount of water without bowing?

I couldn't find if there was anyplace or anyway of working this out with an online calculator or anything. so I came to you guys for advice.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1652643681606.gif
@Ginger1969
I've never built a pond like that so I am of no help :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

We have some construction ponders let them chime in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!

I can't answer your question, but the weight of water in that pond would be over 23,000 pounds! It would need some serious support.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I currently have 2 partially above ground ponds built from wood. Used 2x12 pressure treated lumber. The one 10x10' that was over half above grade bowed out after 10+ years but it was 5' deep. Can you remove the preform and just dig down and put a liner in? I will never build another above ground pond.

Ask a Question