Pond over the first winter questions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Pond is less than 300 gallons and 2 feet at the deepest. I live in zone 7b. I have 4 shubunken goldfish.

I know for my plants I have to cut them back and put them in the deepest part of the pond. I also know that I need to gradually reduce feeding to a full stop once winter is upon me.

What I don't know is what to do with the fountain. Should that continue to run all season or should I stop it? If so, when?

Can I just use an aquarium aerator for the winter if I do need to stop the fountain?

Also, I live on a very wooded lot. How much should I be concerned with the amount of leaves in the bottom of the pond? There is a lot right now.

Thanks in advance.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are you feeding fall feed that has wheatgerm in it .Big concern about leaves on the bottom get a pool or fishtank net and take them out .Try to cover the pond with a net or even window screening .I think I am the window screen queen ,I use it for everything .
100_5614.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Like @sissy said, remove the leaves and cover the pond. I cover my pond in the winter with an old pool solar cover, it keeps it from freezing over. I also run a small aerator.

Ask a Question