Pond overflow location ?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hello,

I am looking for some advice here.

I have a rill pond structure built. I started to poke out a hole for the overflow. I am not sure I have the overflow in the right location. Can someone tell me if it is ok to have the overflow at the front of the ponds where I have it or should I have it near the end of the pond ? The pipe wont be sticking out like that, it will be inline with the blocks.

I am a bit worried that I might have it to close to the blade which will be probably splashing quite a bit and causing me to loose water with the overflow so near to it. I read somewhere that I should have it where the water is most calm.

For some reason I cant seem to upload my image

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would want the overflow in a calmer area, you just want water to go out of the pond when there is to much not due to water movement, splash etc.
I just lowered one edge of liner put enough rocks around that fish can't follow the water out. My excess water flows down our slope and into the woods.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hello,

I am looking for some advice here.

I have a rill pond structure built. I started to poke out a hole for the overflow. I am not sure I have the overflow in the right location. Can someone tell me if it is ok to have the overflow at the front of the ponds where I have it or should I have it near the end of the pond ? The pipe wont be sticking out like that, it will be inline with the blocks.

I am a bit worried that I might have it to close to the blade which will be probably splashing quite a bit and causing me to loose water with the overflow so near to it. I read somewhere that I should have it where the water is most calm.

For some reason I cant seem to upload my image

downslope

Ask a Question