Pond owners worst nightmare

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Found one spot that is suspect, but it's only 2" below the water line. A seam that's come unglued. The seam tape has turned to grey goo, and isn't sealing anything at all. That doesn't explain the drop of 12"+.
Got it drained, and fish moved to the upper pond. (those li'l boogers are fast).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The seam was not the leak. The lap would not allow water loss even if it did leak.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
I still say add something to the upper pond to provide enough oxygen for the fish (then your set if you do re-line/redig the main pond). Shut off everything in the bottom pond & see how far down it drains overnight. Do you have any pics? Can help a lot trying to diagnose everything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I still say add something to the upper pond to provide enough oxygen for the fish (then your set if you do re-line/redig the main pond). Shut off everything in the bottom pond & see how far down it drains overnight. Do you have any pics? Can help a lot trying to diagnose everything.
Its being oxygenated via the fall, using a temporary pump in the upper pond.
fish have been somewhat stressed by the move, an are in hiding.
Big pond is repaired, and being filled. Will take all day to do it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
What a nightmare scenario (to me at least), especially if the hole is not easy to spot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes. I still have yet to find a hole in the liner. But when I removed the liner, I could see where it was by the water excavation of the ground underneath. I looked at that spot holding it up to the sun, and still couldn't find it.
So, new liner in place, about 75% full now, started up the main pump, skippy, skimmer, feed to upper pond, and stream flowing nicely.
I've managed about 75% water change. It will be a while before things get back to normal.

Ask a Question