Pond paint

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am redoing my pond which was constructed using a 2" spray on foam. It was painted black and the foam installer advises me to repaint with Elastomeric paint. He stated he used that type of paint. Elastomeric paint is not recommended for in-water use.
I have been unable to find a paint suitable for underwater use, koi safe. Does anyone have a brand to suggest?
Thank you.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Don't know about the paint but
upload_2018-9-14_9-29-45.gif
@phillip

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am redoing my pond which was constructed using a 2" spray on foam. It was painted black and the foam installer advises me to repaint with Elastomeric paint. He stated he used that type of paint. Elastomeric paint is not recommended for in-water use.
I have been unable to find a paint suitable for underwater use, koi safe. Does anyone have a brand to suggest?
Thank you.
Hi Phillip, welcome to the forum! I am not sure about your situation so will ask a few questions for clairity. Did you start with a hole in the ground and then someone used spray foam (sort of like the stuff they insulate attics with) along the bottom and sides? In other words is the pond’s construction entirely foam? If so, what did they use to coat it with (the black paint)... was it some sort of polyurethane? My house is painted with Elastomeric and it is very flexible and water resistant...beautiful stuff for sure. But the painter said even though it is water resistant, it should not be under water for extended periods such as water pooling along a foundation. I just found something called ‘Aqua Safe’ which is an Elastomeric paint made for pools and ponds. Hum, learn something every day. You might contact them to see if it can be used on painted foam. Anyway, let us know about the pond’s construction.
Stephen

Last edited:

Ask a Question