Pond paint

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by phillip, Sep 14, 2018.

1. phillip

phillip

I am redoing my pond which was constructed using a 2" spray on foam. It was painted black and the foam installer advises me to repaint with Elastomeric paint. He stated he used that type of paint. Elastomeric paint is not recommended for in-water use.
    I have been unable to find a paint suitable for underwater use, koi safe. Does anyone have a brand to suggest?
    Thank you.

phillip, Sep 14, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. phillip

j.w I Love my Goldies

Don't know about the paint but upload_2018-9-14_9-29-45.gif @phillip

j.w, Sep 14, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. phillip

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

addy1, Sep 14, 2018
  4. phillip

Stephen Noble

Hi Phillip, welcome to the forum! I am not sure about your situation so will ask a few questions for clairity. Did you start with a hole in the ground and then someone used spray foam (sort of like the stuff they insulate attics with) along the bottom and sides? In other words is the pond’s construction entirely foam? If so, what did they use to coat it with (the black paint)... was it some sort of polyurethane? My house is painted with Elastomeric and it is very flexible and water resistant...beautiful stuff for sure. But the painter said even though it is water resistant, it should not be under water for extended periods such as water pooling along a foundation. I just found something called ‘Aqua Safe’ which is an Elastomeric paint made for pools and ponds. Hum, learn something every day. You might contact them to see if it can be used on painted foam. Anyway, let us know about the pond’s construction.
    Stephen

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Stephen Noble, Sep 15, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question