160 KB · Views: 392
  • pond 774.jpg
    pond 774.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 416
  • pond 790.jpg
    pond 790.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 429
Reaction score
Love it. I am building a streambed that will feed my pond. I have a few questions if you don't mind.
  • How deep is the streambed?
  • Do You have any smaller stone, pea stone or gravel in the stream bed?
  • I notice some large stone in the pond itself. Is there any trouble with keeping it clean?
  • Is the entire pond bottom covered in stone?
Again, just questions that will help me with my build. I love your set up!

Reaction score
Sqquuuuuuuuuuiiiddheeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaadddd! Don't go on about the stone.............WARNING! WARNING!

Even if I wasn't jumping all over you about the stone bit (I will), you would only have stone on the bottom and not up your side walls since your pond is so deep. And that would just look plain weird.

Keep away from the stone. Keep away from the stone. Keep away....

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Sqquuuuuuuuuuiiiddheeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaadddd! Don't go on about the stone.............WARNING! WARNING!

Even if I wasn't jumping all over you about the stone bit (I will), you would only have stone on the bottom and not up your side walls since your pond is so deep. And that would just look plain weird.

Keep away from the stone. Keep away from the stone. Keep away....

DANGER...DANGER....Will Robinson!!!

I am just curious and like to hear what people have to say. I have seen some pretty immaculate ponds that are mixed size stone bottom. I know the risks involved with "dead areas". Of course most of these "immaculate stone bottoms" where at places where they are maintained by crews of workers, but I can remember some "old school" stone bottoms that where clean growing up. Besides all this, I am over budget already! I don't think another thousand in stone work would fly with the wife. Then again what she don't know, wont hurt me:twisted:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Before you entertain the idea of boulders in the bottom of your pond, think about how you are going to clean around them routinely.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Before you entertain the idea of boulders in the bottom of your pond, think about how you are going to clean around them routinely.
I am taking the easy way out on my pond. I would rather sit by it with a cold Guinness in hand rathe then maintain it. If I feel the need sometime in the future to add some sort of Rocks to the pond besides the coping.
BUT since you brought it up..

If I was to do large stones or boulders I would do what I did in a 125G Rift Lake Tank I had. I tried to be as close to biotope as possible with sand bottom and lots and lots of large rocks on top. So I had a seperate small pump that conected to a series of PVC ran under the sand and rocks and came up as much out of plain view as possible. I crimped the ends similar to Koidaddy's waterfall DIY. The jets would push debris along the sand and out from the crevices of the rocks. The filter intake would then be able pick up the debris. It worked well with alot of tinkering. Again weighing it out Guinness over cleaning crap wins hands down every time:beerchug:

Reaction score
Squidhead asked -
How deep is the streambed? It veries. At the bottom of each fall it is 18 in or so and levels out to about 6 in.

Do You have any smaller stone, pea stone or gravel in the stream bed? I did but I took them out because they held lots of curd.

I notice some large stone in the pond itself. Is there any trouble with keeping it clean? I remove the string algae every day with a tool I made.

Is the entire pond bottom covered in stone? The bottom was covered with small stones. I removed them when I clean the pond this Spring.

I have about 2 plus tons of large and small stones I took out of the pond if any one wants to come and pick them up.

Reaction score
I agree with the no stone in a liner pond but, on my mud pond I have lots and lots of stone. It built up with algae and slime to where you could not tell the color of the rocks last year. This spring when the tad poles were hatch it is amazing how well they cleaned all of the rock completely off. I think they are cleaner than before I put them in. Every day there are thousands all over the rocks and they move from one side of the pond to the other following the sun.

Ask a Question