Pond plant list? (FOUND IT)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Somewhere on here I've seen a long list of plants, good ones and invasive types IIRC. I've used the search facility but without success.. Can anyone point me to that specific post please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I couldn't find that thread, either and don't recall seeing it, though I'm sure you're right in that it exists. What I can suggest is you work back through your browser history and see if you can resurrect it. AND, when you do, let us know and maybe addy can sticky it for future reference. I went and found quite a few other sites that would list the 'good' plants to have and even some not so good, but nothing comprehensive.

Perhaps we might get addy to start some sort of thread that users here can chime in with their experiences, but it might not be as good as what you're looking for. You might just research and put up your ideas for plants you like and let us tell you how we fared. Sometimes, what is a pain for one ponder is a joy for another, and too, it might depend on where you're located as to if it's a good one or a bad one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Yea, it was in a post buried deep in a thread... 2nd or 3rd page type thing.. IT was a listing of plants that did well in bog filters and those that would take over.. I meant to bookmark it thinking I'd certainly need the info at some point but sadly didn't or lost the bookmark.

Alas the history is not going to help as I've been somewhat vigorous in assimilating the useful data here. (Thanks to everyone for sharing their expertise. Its a huge help and time saver to those embarking from scratch.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I think I have it... If this isn't it, then it is a lot like this!! :)

From ADDY1; in the thread called BOG BUILDING Thanks for that thread Addy1, it was very useful.

(Sorry, I dont know how to quote the thread so apologies for the cut and paste;)

===begin quote===
Plant around 1 plant per square foot.If your pond and bog are new, leave the dirt on the plants roots.There is not enough nutrition for the plants with a new bog.
Be careful what you plant in your bog, some plants are aggressive growers.
Do not leave the plants in their pots, take them out.

plant list:

I plant hardies:

This is what I have currently:

Obediant plant
black gamecock iris
dwarf golden sweetflag
dwarf cattails
varigated snow flake-lily like plant needs to be planted about 14" under water surface.
Water Willow
green creeping Jenny
Marsh betony

4 leaf water clover
fuzzy 4 leaf water clover
mini spearwort
white star grass
penny wort
water mint
blue water forget me not
water iris soft pinkkirk strawn
4 left water clover variegated

Excellent Plants for the Bog may include:(from the net)

Arrowhead Sagitaria (zone 4-6) Summer Bloomer. Bulbing root system stores(nitrogen, potassium & phosphorous)

Canna (zone 8-10) Summer Bloomer. A bog’s best friend. This plant is a biomass factory and has amazing beauty and structure. A heavy feeder on (nitrogen, potassium & phosphorous) from April through September.

Cattails (zone 3-5) Summer Bloomer. are vigorous growers and have deep roots.

Creeping Jenny (zone 5) Spring Bloomer.

Daylily - Spring through Summer Bloomer. Surprisingly, water is the best fertilizer for daylilies. They are an excellent nutrient feeder and grow well in the shallow areas of a bog garden. Daylily come in a variety of colors and blooming times for a long lasting color in your garden.

Eyed Grass (Yellow & Blue) (zones 5-7) Spring Bloomer.

Iris - (zones 4-6) Summer Bloomers.
Common water iris. (Louisiana Iris) Great variety in colors and styles. Plant habit is spreading and untidy appearance.
Japanese variegated water iris is a strong grower late spring through fall. Iris are good at removing both nitrogen and phosphorous.
Siberian Iris are preferred for their strong, clumping habit. Most growth spring and summer but use potassium and phosphorous in summer and fall for energy storage for next year’s bloom.

Kaffir Lily (zone 7) Fall Bloomer. A bulbing lily with watermelon red flowers. Grows in cooler temps of spring and fall. Small top growth controlled.

Lobelia Cardinalis (zones 5-7) Fall Bloomer. Beautiful late summer bloom. Nice color diversity. Heavy potassium user.

Marsh Marigold (zones 2-4) Spring Bloomer. A fast growing cool temperature plant. Begins growing very early in spring producing flowers by early March and continues through April, often re-blooms in the fall when weather cools. Medium root depth and actively feeds when most plants are dormant.

Pickerel Rush (zone 3-6) Summer Bloomer. Strong summer growth and bloom. A spreading habit with a shallow root system. A strong feeder on the total nutrient system. Blue Pickerel Rush is very hardy in our area, with a long bloom season.

Rain Lily (zone 6) Fall Bloomer. Late summer and fall grower. This bulb plant has a small controlled top growth but a dense vigorous root system with storage bulbs. Strong user of phosphorous and potassium.

Rush - Variegated Striped Rush (zone 5-6) Summer Bloomer. Evergreen and continues to grow almost year-round strongest growth in summer. Roots are shallow and need oxygen. Open habit allows for under story growth.but has a large vigorous root system feeding its bulbs. Very

Slough Sedge (zone 4) Very prolific, yet clumping. Grows to 5’ high in bogs. Deep rooting habit. Bio-mass. Strong user of potassium, sulfur, calcium and sodium. Somewhat salt resistant.

Society Garlic (zone 7) Summer Bloomer. Strong summer growth. Love phosphorous.

Star Grass (zone 7) Summer Bloomer. Very controlled, medium root depth, summer fall growth. Grasses are strong feeders of potassium and sulfur.

Thalia (zone 6) Summer Bloomer. Very deep rooted. Open stem structure allows for very diverse under story growth. Summer blooming. Large storage roots.

Water Forget-Me-Not (zone 3) Spring Bloomer. Vigorous low grower. Shallow rooted. Easily pruned. Blooms from March through October.

Yellow Monkey Flower (zone 6) Spring Bloomer. Early spring growth and bloom. Deep root system.

Bog Plants:
Arrowhead
Assorted Taros
Bog Lily
Cannas
Chinese Water Chestnut
Creeping Jenny
Dwarf Horsetail
Dwarf Papyrus
Dwarf Variegated Sweetflag Giant Melon Sword
Japanese Iris
Lizard's Tail
Lousiana Iris
Pickerel Rush
Red Stemmed Sagittaria
Ribbon Grass
Ruby Creeper
Ruby Eye Arrowhead Sensitive Plant
Siberian Iris
Spider Lily
Spike Rush
Star Grass
Thalia
Variegated Spider Lily
White Bull Rush
Zebra Rush
Plants that are invasive in the Bog (Think Twice Before Planting)
Horsetail
Aquatic Mint
Chameleon Plant
Parrot's Feather
Red Stemmed Thalia
Cattails
Umbrella Palm
Yellow Iris

===end quote===

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hey @addy1 ; wanna make this particular post of yours a sticky? We DO get a lot of 'what plants for my pond' discussions. It would be an easy info dump for first timers and old timers alike!

Of course, you'd have to qualify this re zone, et al.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hey @addy1 ; wanna make this particular post of yours a sticky? We DO get a lot of 'what plants for my pond' discussions. It would be an easy info dump for first timers and old timers alike!

I think it's a great idea to have a sticky!
I did search the internet and I am more confused than I was before! There are a lot of controversial opinions (as with most pond related topics) out there.
I know I will never plant mint, Pickerel Rush, Elephant Ear or standard Cattails in the bog, no matter how many people claim those to be good in a bog I've lived the horror of them taking over the pond, I can just imagine what they can do in a bog

Reaction score
we had mint at the top of our waterfall area and spillway. It does grow vigorously, but we also use it and then also transplanted some into areas of the yard also.
It's been MIA since i turned off the main waterfall and the cold snap, but i do plan on reintroducing it and will def be putting it in whatever raised bog/filter i end up with.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Done!

Ask a Question