Pond Plants and frost

Reaction score
So tonight we have a frost warning between 1am-7am. I have a floating planter with a small canna and water forget me nots. I also have a planting bag of mini cattails and dwarf bamboo. Should I bring them out of the pond and into garage or does the water temps from the pond create its own micro climate. The pond is right next to the house with two walls to protect it from winds.

I just need to get past tonight and the rest of the week were in the 80-90s. Crazy weather!

Here's a view from my breakfast area of the kitchen.

image.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If the water is warm enough it should not bother them ,but if the frost is going to be heavy you can spray them with water to protect the tender leaves

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...the cannas look tender and it was easy to lift and put them in a kiddie pool in the garage. Just have toile my car suffer for one night.

I just don't trust this weather yet!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
better to be safe than sorry ,they may say one temp and it could end up being even colder .We have frost warnings for VA but not for the southside .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are under freeze and frost warnings, my blue forgetmenot (bog) is doing well. Mini cattails handle it fine too. It seems the blooming plants are able to handle this cold hit. I am waiting until tuesday to put out the veg garden plants, they would not handle frost. We do have a covering of ice on some items. 80's on friday

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I was curious about this also, We had frost and freeze warnings off and on all for the last two weeks. I brought the hyacinths and parrots feather in the house but after looking at pictures of my pond from the last two years I've noticed my lilies are usually full and green by now but this year the leaves are tiny, red, and few and far between even though I've fertilized like always.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are growing slower than last year, but then again the pond varies between 70 degrees down to the 50's, lots of rain, clouds etc. Last year hot and dry everything grew early.
I do have a good amount of pads and buds coming up now, decent sized.

Ask a Question